radiata moratorium

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by RogerL, Mar 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

well, if thats the case gresham, i would love to find a LFS with radiata's. i am from chicago, but am currently in champaign-urbana for school, so i am very limited in my fish stores. where is your store? do they ship?

2. Click Here!

3. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

p.s. thanks for the info! :)

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

My place of work isn't a retail outfit, we're a wholesale importe/exporter.  I don't have any clients in either area for some reason.

I was slightly incorrect in my post.  Dopers will juce what ever they can (many fish don't lend themselves to being juiced though).  The problem with lions isn't the juice, its the journey and some lions just aren't as hardy as others.  People always seem to cry foul, when fish die on them.  9 times outa 10, they blame cyanide.  "My green chromis always die, they always do head spins, they musta been juiced" has been said countless times by people how know very little on the subject.  BTW green chromis aren't juiced, they ship badly(use alot of o2), and in very minimal water at that.  Firefish, mandarins, gobies and such never are juiced.  Mandarins just clam up their gills and their mucus layer help protect them.  They are collected using hypo needles, or something close to it, jabbed thru the dorsal fin and pushed into the sand.  Check out some fresh ones sometime, you'll see what I'm talking about.  They don't always get the dorsal fin, many will have holes in their sides (they heal quickly).

I'd love to really dive into this issue with all of you, but I'm going to hold back until Matt & I work out a proper place for it.  I have probably, the most knowledgable person on this subject(Steve Robinson) as my boss.  He was one of the first to exspose the juicers and has trained many to use nets sustainably (top trainer in the world).  Keep your eyes and ears open, it's coming soon (to 3reef.com).

Gresham

5. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

eagerly anticipating. :)

6. Mauireefer

Mauireefer Astrea Snail

as scary as what I about to tell you is, I feel every one should know, I worked in the wholesale side of this great industry, and we have local divers come in 5-8 times per week, I became friendly with a specific diver and he divulged secrest that shocked me. The new thing to use is a chemical called Qualine..i think, its a chemical used to develop photos, anyway he said the fish last longer than cyanide caught, but will eventually die within the year...scary as it is Ivew witnessed the capture of many fish using this chemical and the way they react, its so sad to me, and shocking that they do almost recover enough just to be sold to the LFS, then the hobbyist...ITs a bad thing...anyone out there getting fish from Brad at SeaAquatech in Pompano should be careful, all of his Atlantic fish are caught this way, and its not fair, especially since he advertises, hand netted NO drugged fish
    just my 2 cents

J

7. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

hi maui. good ta see ya. that side of the hobby is really starting to piss me off. the people in the industry dont seem to realize that aquarists prefer fish that LIVE!!! can we even tell which fish are caught using qualine? i have heard of that from a few griends of mine who are majoring in marine biology. this chemical not only causes death, but degenerative tissue disorders in all living things. its a shame that the government regulates and controls almost everything, but cannot or will not place intelligent sanctions on a multi-million dollar a year industry!!! i am fuming... :-(

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Quanaldine isn't new, it's been around for many many years.  It to has had its share of the lime light.  Qualdine isn't the killer when it comes to that drug, its the agent used to mix it, usually ether or alchol.  Quanaldine is bad, many AMRICANS use it (legally with permits and all) and many other Atlantic countries have spot use of it., Haiti comes to mind.  There are plenty of people collecting w/out qualdine or cyanide (now being reported as being used in the Keys by some insiders whom don't want to give any names) in the Atlantic, so don't sell them short.

The government does controll our industry, just not to the extent many want it to.  The problem is, 1. there is no truly effective cyanide test that can be used on our side (legal problems too, cyanide leaves a trace that also occures naturally) 2. if the governemnt requires MORE inspections of our incoming livestock, we'll have a considerable increase in DOA as the livestock will have to wait for an all ready over worked Fish & Wildlife agent to inspect it.

oops gotta go pack some fish, I'll finish this post tonight once I'm done working.

Gresham

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Quanaldine is legal in 1 state and 1 state alone, damn Florida. Another problem with any dope is it isn't limitted to the fish at hand, it kills all the fry, corals, etc. Scientists have used it for many years and they're the only reason it was made legal in FLA. Its really quite funny that they believe they catch more fish with drugs than nets. Our divers in Mexico are only limitted by us, the quotas(Mexican government) and how much our van can hold. They've never seen dope and can out collect ANY doper around, sustainably too. They've been doing this since 78' with ZERO harm to the habit. We do surveys every collection trip and have a government biologist on board every trip. The south pacific countries should learn from what Mexico has done.

Gresham