R.i.p

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Stingray, Jul 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Hi,

Today is a sad day, i tried in vain to save my wall type hammerhead coral, iodine dipped it and freshwater, still it carried the brown slime, i tried using a dremmel, but the wall was just too thick and strong, by this time the slime had eaten 70%, i tried one last chance and chisel and hammered the wall which just made it fall apart, needless to say i lost it,,, on a better note, the frogspawn never got better either, i broke off the effected stem, all others seem to be ok, so fingers crossed, when i took them out the tank some of the slime sailed away round the tank, will this die off or can it cause other corals to be infected, i would hate my elegance to get this?

Thanks for the info all...

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Sorry you lost the one coral. The frog spawn should make it. Some slime drifted around my tank also, but minimal, as I used a baster to suck off most of it before removing. I was told the slime has to land right on a coral and stay there for it to be harmful, although I don't know for sure.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Sorry to hear about the loss of your euph's.
    By "brown slime" I'm assuming you mean Brown Jelly Disease. If that is the case then yes, the bacteria that causes it is contagious and if any of the loose jelly settled on any of your corals there is a chance they will be infected. Particularly the LPS. If the Elegance begins to show signs of BJD do not move it until you have siphoned off all of the jelly with a turkey baster first.