R.I.P. BuckieTang

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by geekdafied, Sep 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

This is a testiment to no matter how much you dip your corals or frags reguardless who they come, disease's and parasites can and do get through.

I got some stuff from a buddy, not sure which one it is, but I acquired what apeared to be parasitic isopods. First BuckieTang appeared to be the only afflected by it and I hessitated to do any kind of treatment becuase I am rearranging everything. I got the sixline wrasse to help with the problem and it appeared to have done the trick. I was totally wrong. Now my tank is crawling with these parasites, ALL of my fish are afflected now. So I was taking down the tank to put all the fish in a QT and went to find Buckie, and he was no where to be found. SO I tore it down more and found it with large "raw" patches and he wasn't swimming, so I went ahead and put him in the QT thinking he would be ok. I have the tank about half full of water with a small powerhead for flow while I was getting all the fish out, and he didnt have the strength to swim away from the powerhead, so I moved it and he just layed there barely breatheing. I left him alone for a little while, while I hunted for the other fish. Got the clowns out, that little wrasse is no where to be seen, but I bet he's wedged in a rock somewhere so I am going to have to finish this the hardway.

I went to check on Buckie, and he was worse, so I knew what had to be done. He is now in that big ocean in the sky.

RIP BuckieTang
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I truly feel your pain and loss.
    karma to you

1 person likes this.
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Brian,

Am also so sorry about losses. Can just imagine how you feel.

I would find the pain of such an event unbearable.

Hopefully other fish will make it and you will find little wrasse holed up somewhere.

I will miss "Buckie" also. Was a really cool fish.

Wish you and tank the best.

1 person likes this.
  5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

All other fish are accounted for now and are in doing fine in a QT. That little wrasse was much easier to catch once I found his hiding spot. I have a bunch of fiji branch liverock, so there is tons and tons of hiding places inside the rocks for fish. The Coral Beauty was the only challenge to catch, but once all the liverock was out, he had nowhere to hide and I bought a 14x10" net to make things easier on catching them, lol. Chased them around with a little net until they swam into the big one.

I will miss the little guy, he was my favorite fish. Had so much personality and was more of a camera hog then my clownfishes.

As of right now, I am finishing off the big tank. Getting it all put back together untill I move in a couple of weeks which is going to be fun.

As for the quarantine tank, I am double treating them so to speak. We all know hyposalinty is a cure all, but I am taking it a step further. I am dosing cupramine (buffer activated copper) and raised the temperture on both tanks, the QT is 80 and the coral tank now is set to 82. That will speed up the life cycle and speed up the recovery of the fishies. I just hope isopods are not like ich. Ich can affect invertibrates according to a Uni of Miami study. Which explains why some people say you can never get rid of ich. If you have crabs and shrimp, the ich can get inbetween the spaces of their shells. I do not have shrimp or crabs, so hopefully this does not affect snails, which I have tons of abalones.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate it.

6. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It's always hard losing a close friend. Hope all goes well with the others and good luck with the move.

My Dearest Sympathy,

Brad

1 person likes this.
  7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Well let me rephrase what I said about the sixline... Apparently while I was typing the previous message, that little powerhead sucked him up, and I recovered half of him out of the powerhead.

So yeah... Anybody thinking I need to get out of this hobby other then me?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Starting to sound like you have my luck. My Q-tank is up and running and will stay running until I have my tank full, then I will make it a running frag tank. I fell for your loss as mine was only coral but it ranged about $600 worth that I lost. Very expensive lesson I learned. :-[
    Keep your head high and hopefully the thought of giving up this hobby has passed and you are planning new tank mates as we speak. ;D

1 person likes this.
  10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I appreciate it Otty, hahaha, the list keeps growing and growing, lmao.

Ive come up with an el cheapo way to buy fish now that I have a dedicated QT running just for fish. I dont know about other places, but our deathco is a guaranteed bet you're going to get something bad with your fish purchase. So Ive decided once I get everything situated, Im going to talk to the operations manager and have him order me some stuff. This way I get exactly what I want and the size I want for cheap prices. Be there when the fish hit the store and get them before they have a chance to touch deathco's infested tanks. The place they order fish from DELIVERS the fish the same day they pulled from the tanks, and the place is a 4hr drive away. So they shouldnt be too stressed.

My QT is blacked out except for the front. Black sides, back and bare bottom blacked out aswell. The less stress the better. I have a big fresh water decoration in there so they have something to hide in or around. Its a 20H with a aquaclear filter rated for a 70g tank so if there is an emergency, I can throw carbon or floss in it and turn the tank over pretty quick to care of things.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The health depends on who supplies them their fish! Usually cheap retail means cheap wholesale .. Not all collectors are created equal.. I have several wholesalers I deal with on live fish and one is great everything comes in fat healthy and eating like a pig the other one not so good and some I won't even deal with. Now the good one cost more about 20% on average. But they like us hold all fish for a few weeks to month to be sure they are healthy and eating and acclimated to tank life.. I pay that 20% every time I order from them.. I'd bet at PETCO they sell mostly cyanide collected fish hence the rep the have for dead fish floating in their tanks.. There is a lot if stuff to know about how this industry operates..Its fish eat fish if you don't know..

Minnows swimming with sharks the sharks win. Good luck with the Pet Co thing

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Sorry to hear about it dude!
    Sucks when you lose any kind of live stock as we all have and unfortunately will continue to do so, no matter how conscientous we are.

1 person likes this.