Quick pvc Question

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by luvreefs23, Mar 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes just prime it well the pipe will slip in easily enough Just leave a few inches stubbed down before you add the valve . Just in case you ever need to replace a cracked Bulkhead.. After you put the pipes together twist them into the hubs and hold them a few seconds or they may and will often pinch back out from the chemical reaction pressure inside the hub.
    Oh and I was not trying to belittle you today if you though I was as some did ' I was almost sure I knew what you meqnt to say and was asking But I never like to assume and talk to just here myself talk and maybe mess you or someone elase up..

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

So coming down from the bulkhead i have a 5inch piece then i will have the ball valve then the rest of the pvc from the bottom of the ballvalve to the sump rite

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes But if you are going to use a refugium ? a tee first on the stub and then two valves. in the sump take the vertical run to the bottom then add 2 ells together to form a U then a bit if a riser to let the water out just above the finishe water level these should not be glued no need ..

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if 5" is what you want, yes. if your worried about breaking the bulkhead put the pvc pipe in first then put the bulkhead through the hole and tighten the nut. after that put the valve on, but make sure you are able to put the nut on. this way when you put the valve on you can hold onto the pipe instead of putting pressure on the bulkhead. the bulkhead will break before the tank will. also if possible put a union after the valve if you ever need to change something later on. should go like this, tank-bulkhead-valve-union-sump.

6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

How tight are the bulkheads suppose to be? The kit came with a little metal wrench and i put them on hand tights then gave them a couple turns with the wrench. Good? Or to tight?

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just a bit say 1/8th turn past finger tight then test it if it leaks under pressure of the water tighten it a bit more with the spanner wrench. Oil the threads a bit aswell a dab of 3&! or a dab of Vasoline so not to heat gauld and pull the plastic threads .

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

like tangy said, just tight enough. what breaks the bulkhead is overtightening and also strips the threads. remember its plastic. a bead of silicone at the opening will also help.

10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I think i put it to tight than. I only had the plumber tape on the bulkhead no vaseline or anything

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the plumbers tape really isnt needed, its the rubber gasket that stops the water. but since you have it on, close the valve and put water in the overflow to see if it leaks