Quick mushroom leather Q's

Discussion in 'Frags' started by GAZBO, May 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I have 6 mushroom leathers on a piece of LR and a couple of them are small and are being blocked by the bigger ones and I need to frag them out, is the best way of to do this is to cut the base an attached them to something? I glued a toothpick on a frag piece can I just cut and stab it through to attach it?

5-18-09 mushroom leather 001.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

You could do as you suggested Gazbo that would work
    but looking at that rock there is an easier way to seperate the end 2 small ones

you need dremel with the angle grind attachment and you could cut the base rock and seperate 2 of the 6 without cutting the coral - obvious benefit is these 2 would in all probability open as normal within a day or so, which would not happen if you cut them

also if you cut the toady off the rock the bit you leave on the rock will grow another coral so you will have same problem in a few years time

if you split the rock - you only have the shrooms you have now

unless you want to frag and trade, that is

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I would find the sharpest scissors you can... believe it or not WalMart sells these titanium sewing scissors that are the sharpest things I have seen!! Get something like that.. You have two options cut the leathers at the base, the take the base and attempt to glue-its hard softies don't like to get glued, or take bridal netting, not the VERYfine mesh, the standard mesh- and cut the netting into a say 5" by .5"or 1" strip... Then use the strip to lightly wrap the base of the leather to a rock, the bridal netting works great, better than a rubber band because the pressure is more wide spread, rubber bands put pressure on the leather and eventually it will cut through the stalk. After about a week the stalk will have attached to the new rock, viola, you fragged and attached the new leather!!!

Your other option is this, cut off the cap of the leather you want to move... Then cut it into say quarters or eighths.. Then take each of those pieces and place one each on their own seperate small rock. Make sure they are polyp side up!!
    Then use the bridal netting again, this time cut the pieces so that you can completely wrap the leather up and surround the rock. You will be using the netting to hold the frag to the rock. DON'T WRAP IT TOO TIGHT!! But if you do it too loose the frag will fall out.
    After say a week the frag will adhere to the rock. You can remove the netting then. After a few weeks it will start growing its stalk back....

Good luck!

1 person likes this.