Questions on Pods

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Jan 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

And to add to this, even ORA mandarins are hit or miss on eating frozen.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

If you looking to feed pods, other than fish poop, I feed mine phytoplankton.

4. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

1) Set up a fuge
    2) Put in chaeto
    3) If no chaeto is available ask someone to ship you some. I just threw away a softball size piece last week. Hopefully they will have copepods already living in it. Mine have a ton. I try to shake them all out before throwing away the big hunk of chaeto
    4) Buy a small bottle of copepods from your LFS $14.99
    5) Dump bottle into fuge
    6) Leave everything alone. The fish will feed your copepods
    7) More advanced, feed phyto.
    8.) Don't buy a mandarin for a long time

5. stoney waters

stoney waters Fire Shrimp

I agree, but not only that, that manderin is going to be cramped. Mine was a pretty active swimmer,and I felt my 30g biocube was to small for one, let alone a 10g:-X.

6. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

a 30 is way to small from my thought. they should only be in tanks with 100 LB of rock at the min. in a ten gallon i would give one a week or two of living. and the pods would be gone in a day and a half.

7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I have seem a manderain do well in a 10, BUT I was fed daily from a 10 gallon dedicated to rasing pods. I belive it had around 15-20 lbs of rock in the 10 galllon tank. Having said that I had one in a 20 gallon tall and wish I had waited untile I got my 75 up and running.

8. Click Here!

9. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I have a mandarin in a 29BC and as rewarding as owning it is it's also a ton of trouble. I have a 2 1/2 gallon pod farm running, but to this point I've spent a lot of money buying a new bottle of pods to dump into my tank weekly to make sure he has something to eat.

I'm lucky that he will eat frozen adult brine daily so I know he's getting food but it's daily labor.

I'm not saying don't do it, just saying if you do expect a huge time commitment.

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

wow guys thanks for all the encouragement *coughs* yeah right! *coughs*. anyway i was just asking lol so thanks for the info

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Unfortunately, that is what happens a lot on most forums. You will have to get used to it. There are stories for both sides of the story for mandarin keeping. I Have a friend who kept 2 mandarins and a scooter blenny in a 46 for months before he had to take the tank down with no problems.

If you want a mandarin in your 10G go for it once you have a successful pod farm and fuge going.

12. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am sorry, but why ask for advise if you don't listen to it. Most if not all people on 3reef are very knowledgeable about the hobby, they give great advise.