Questions about a 100gallon homemade stand

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Rarend99, May 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

What do you guys think for molding on the corners of the tank? Like where the 4ft section meets the 2ft

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

If you are talking about putting the molding vertically, which I think you are than you might want to do the rest with the molding and then just place a piece there. It might be a little much. It might give it a bush look and not look to good. I'd say do all and then place a piece thee so you can see what it'll look like and then if you like it, nail it. If you don't, ditch it.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I like a very clean minimalistic modern look. I also like things being very easy. I used oak corner peicer for the corners and inside openinigs (so easy) then thin trim for the top and bottom.

My wife loves this stand more than the other oak stand so I may be building another.

[​IMG]

5. ingtar_shinowa

PS: its also pretty light to carry.

6. diverdan

That is one pretty stand. Nice.

I didn't think about corner molding on the corners. If you go with a similar color or grain it will definitely make the corners come together. It also isn't very expensive. (Haven't gotten any in a while so not sure of the price)

7. ingtar_shinowa

The oak trim was alot more red than the white oak 1/8" plywood I bought, but in the end it stained up pretty similar. Just be careful, Japanese LOVE to live in this type of stand.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Chris!

Chris! Banned

[​IMG]

I went with the corner trim to hide all my edges as well, and used 1/4" birch for the skin. Door/ window molding for the top, and floor trim to match my houses white floor trim (since I had some leftover from switching it out from the small base to a nice larger base trim). Wrapped the doors in white door/window molding and painted the plastic trim on the tank to match to complete the look ;)

I also painted the inside of the stand white to seal/ protect it a bit, and give it a nice clean finished look.

Of course "canopy" to match.......
    [​IMG]

10. Rarend99

I do like the look of that

11. Rarend99

I think I'm going to go with a big thick trim on the bottom also and a smaller one up top with small trip to hide edges

12. diverdan

Sounds like a good plan. Post progress pics when you start working in it.