Questions about a 100gallon homemade stand

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Rarend99, May 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

So I am fixing a stand for a 100 gallon 48x24x20
    The stand has good bones of 2x4s and 2x6s but it wasn't as nice as I wanted it to be, my questions are
    Is 1/8" oak or birch too thin for the outside skin? It doesn't support anything or would you use 1/4"?
    Also I want to have nice molding on the top and bottom of the stand and am thinking of using crown molding, would this work?
    And for the door ill have that made online and just attach it and stain it myself.

The stand currently...
    I plan on putting a new piece of plywood on the top of it also
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Chris!

Chris! Banned

A wet paper bag would be fine. So yes 1/8" will work as it is primarily just for looks (although it will ofter some stability as a nice bonus).

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Might want to go thicker if you plan on adding doors in the front. It will give you something to screw the hinges too. It will also allow you to trim it out nicely. It will also last longer if it gets wet during water changes and other possible leaks.

5. Rarend99

I plan on having 2x4s near where the hinges need to be, so that wouldn't be an issue

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I already gave my thoughts on the skin. As for the crown molding, it would work, but the top board (what the tank sits on) would have to have a lip all the way around. So the tank would have a a warp around porch on top, if that makes sense.

7. Rarend99

I thought about that and I didn't want it so I'm going to use some molding similar to baseboards and it will cover 3/4" of the tank, enough to hide the bottom pane of glass

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

The skin yes, like stated you would need something behind if your going to attach doors (you already answered that). I have baseboard and crown molding around my tank and it looks pretty good. The top molding comes up 1/2" above the stand so there is a lip that covers the bottom of the tank. (In case there is any earth quake the tank won't slide off the stand. Lol)

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

At Lowes or Home Depot you can find a ton of oak or birch trim styles. its like $8-10 for 8 feet of it so pretty economical. The skin is the pricey part. I had to buy extra because I wanted my grain running vertically, but im glad I did it looks hot.

Took two coats of golden oak stain to bring out the grain properly but its the best looking stand i've seen in person. Paint the inside black for a really sharp look.

11. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Agree, I just did a job and picked up 4 1/2" baseboard and it was like $1.45 a linear foot. Smaller or standard even cheaper. (Home Depot)

You'll spend more on the skin than the baseboard.

And painting the inside black is a nice touch. It will look "hot". Lol

12. Rarend99

Ya the skin honestly isn't too bad, ill get one 4x4 and two 2x4s probably a total of $32, already have glue and finishing nails, so other than that it's just molding.

Painting the inside black is a good idea, I think ill do this