Question

Discussion in 'RARS' started by highdesertreef, Jun 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

inexpensive and custom are hard to find in the same thread

2. Click Here!

3. highdesertreef

highdesertreef Flamingo Tongue

Ok How is this for a start. 48-24-24 for the tank makes roughly 120 gallons before displacement. Is that large enough for a Hippo tang or does it need to be a long tank? Also would 760 watts be enough lighting?

4. civsi44

civsi44 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I took a drive over the hill to get my tank, had to rent a mini uhaul to get it back but it was the only option as shipping was almost the same price as the tank itself. I got 60x24x24 aga and couldn't be happier.

5. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

I agree with you, and I am part of the boycott myself. Ive heard many times that not all Petcos can be bad..............Ive lived in Texas, Mississippi, Virginia, S. California and Now N. Nevada in the past 10 years and have yet to see a Petco that doesnt display the stereotype.

But onward. If you are really worried about overflow placement, have you considered glass-holes.com? You can make the calls to find out which tanks are tempered, go buy a standard tank and with just a little bit of hands-on-drill knowledge be well on your way.

6. highdesertreef

ok so this has been put on hold by the wife. She decided (last night) she wants me to buy the stand not build the stand. So now I need to save up even more money to do this upgrade. Oh well more time to plan. and maybe get a much bigger tank. (smiles evilly)

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

See if you can contract out someone to build the stand. Buying pre-built stands for large tanks is absolutely insane. The CHEAPEST stand I could find for my 200 in the beginning was well over $2000. And others got much more expensive.

8. Click Here!

9. highdesertreef

Well after postin that she said do your research. I did and came to the same conclusion you did Packleader. The darn thing will cost more than the stinking tank. If I can build it for like 200 (which would involve some extremly expensive plywood) its still worth it. Her main thing was the appearance. So if I can build a pretty stand than its fine. Still kinda on hold though. Going to wait until tax return and use some of my govrnment stolen money that is given back to me to buy some nice equipment and the tank.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I think I probably have $100-$150 into my stand. I think it looks pretty ;D ;)

But plywood is plywood, no need for the expensive stuff. If you want a really nice natural wood stand, get the nice stuff and "face" it with panels of it. But at the core of it all, your really just building a box with plywood is all. Its really simple. When it comes to facing/molding, that's when the lipstick goes on the pig. ;)

11. highdesertreef

My plan was to use 2x6 #1 Dimensional lumber (see my thread on stan build) for the framework and 1/4 Oak faced cabinet plywood for the outside, no molding, no trim. Just a very strong box with a door (like a split closet door). Then paint or stain to my wifes likeing.

12. highdesertreef

Okay here is the equipment wish list so far.
    1x Octopus DNWB-110 Needle Wheel Recirculating Protein Skimmer
    1x Quiet One Model 3000 Aquarium Pump, Rainbow Lifegard. 780 gph max flow
    1x EcoTech MP20 Marine VorTech Water Pump with wave controller
    1x Finnex 300 Watt Titanium Heater System (I have a 250 watt glass heater already)
    1x 120 gallon (wife said no bigger right now) standard tank with 1-2 overflows
    1x DIY stand (convinced the wife that it was way cheaper by showing her the prices of stands, way more than the tank itself.)
    1x Sump/fuge (getting from a friend, she cant remember what size it is)
    Misc: Pipe/tubing, fittings, clamps/glue, sand, rock, salt.
    Have I forgotten anything.

I would like to get most of this equipment from the same retailer. Prefer a LFS, but not sure if Pet Station carries/can order much of this. The best online prices I've found is for everything listed except the tank on down. Comes to a little less than $600 with shipping