Question on some old rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by superclouds, Jan 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. superclouds

superclouds Flamingo Tongue

How long should i bleach it for? I have it soaking in a tub with bleach/water atm.

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i bleach all my aquarium decoration that arent live for an hour. But a half hour would be fine

1 person likes this.
  4. superclouds

so my 3 hours was plenty lol, anyways thank you very much. Its now basting in a bath of fresh water. I'll change it out a few times just to make sure I dont get no bleach in the tank.

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Your welcome, i did the same with a huge conch shell i found in the carribean. I go to the carribean quite often, so diving for vacated conch shells is a pastime of mine. I actually found a shell from an endagered species and was asked if i would consisder selling it to some Marine Biolgist who was researching them. He offered me like $100 for it and i said "No, My conch!" since then i got into reefing and would hae been more than happy to sell it! ive also got two beautiful ones i found in st.kitts and nevis which had people asking me if i would sell them to them for $50. When most people think of conch shell they think of the ones that are exposed to SW for too long and are only the white bleached calcerous part. The beautiful ones are the ones that still have he glossy cover that is produced by the conch on them, giving them beautiful coloring and patterns. I keep my three favorite ones on my night stand :D

6. superclouds

Well, bought some cement today, gonna try to make a few tonight so I can get them in toilet tank ASAP cause i'm impatient. Question is.....who is do I know that will have rock in their Toilet as well :D

Man I wish I could go diving in the Carib, some day I want to hit the barrier reef.

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Whe i was nine i got to go snorkeling at some sunken volcano in Hawaii. There were tons of triggers and other awesome and popular aquarium fish. i think its this place
    Molokini

Lol, your gonna put DIY in your turlit, but hey it works. Its gonna look just like it usually does when i leave the bathroom.......

8. Click Here!

9. superclouds

LOL yep, most the streams and stuff are frozen over so can't use them

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

lava rock no good in saltwater

11. Roncgizmo

Roncgizmo Astrea Snail

Don't use it, even the tonga rock...Just on the fact that it spent time IN A GARDEN is not a good thing for your tank..Bug sprays etc. I wouldn't even think about it... as far as Lava rock itself some of it is ok for the tank but most of it is not even if it's sold at an LFS it's used in FW without issues.

12. superclouds

Thanks, I have added the tonga and so far no issues. i bleached it a little...well a couple more hours than a normal bleaching. It was in flower garden that didnt get nothing but water so it should be alright. I'm not using the lava rock. I've started to make my own, i've got 3 pieces, about 15-25 lbs worth made, i'll put it in the toilet in another week or so. Picks to come.......after its out of the bowl lol. (sacred secret quiet spot, no pics allowed)