question on Canister filters

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by new2salt2, Dec 9, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i have heard that canister filters were bad for a tank. Alos that all a good salt tank needs is a good skimmer and live rock to survive. welll i bought a canister filter at the pet store casue they said it would be needed in a fish tank. (50 gal slat tank here). 20 days later i check my nitrites and they are at 0 same with amonia, but my nitrate is off the charts. I do a water change and rinse and change bio media in filter. 3 days later amonia spikes up and my nitrate is still off the charts. Well i have gone back to a hang on filter for now and gotten rid of the canister. Only been one day and have not checked water levels yet, but had done another chage of 10 gals when i got rid of my canister . In all 25 gal change in 25 days. anyone ever hear of the canister filters causeing this? is it true witha good skimmer and live rock a filter is not needed in the tanks? My fish all seem fine and very active still. any advise would be helpful.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome new2salt2!

Cannister filters are well known nitrate sumps. Too bad you found out the hard way.

Before I go to much into detail, I recommend two things:

1. Go to the Steps tab above and read all the information on three steps to a reef tank.

2. Please describe in detail your tank set-up; equipment, tank size, substrate, livestock, lighting, etc.

Depending on whather you want a fish only or a reef, Live rock and protein skimming are the most effective way to filter your tank and create a healthy environment for you fish.

HTH

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Welcome new2salt2!

As Craig said, read the steps at the top of the page and ask all the questions you want.

5. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

welcome to three reef. u wont regret joining. keep us posted.(i agree, u should read those three steps above)

JOE

6. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

Theres a really good store called Just about Fish near me and I was in there last night for 2 hours... The guy was telling me that canister filters wouldnt do as good because there isnt movement all throughout it... We have 2 emporer 400s but i never use them anymore because theyr loud but he gave me a fix (the emporer would always make reallyloud noises when first start up eve when it was full of water)... but considering my caister is ew I had to find something to do with it so its going to pump water back to my tank when I build a refugium!!!

7. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

I have a Magnum 350 that I run on my 135gal every now and then just to help out in the mechanical filtration department. I haven't had any problems. I just keep it clean and don't use it all the time. It sure does help make the water "crystal" though!

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]