question for seasoned keepers

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Dingo, Sep 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

You said this rock came from another older tank?
    I think it has to do with the main type of bacteria from your other tank not having the food or appropiate parameters to thrive, so this type has taken over and literally taken over from all the excess food.

I know you said your not dosing carbon(I have nothing against vodka dosing) but I have only commonly see stuff like this in tanks that are carbon dosing or rapidly stopped carbon dosing, well either that or huge die off.

how are your parameters different then the previous tank?
    how has your husbandry/chemicals you add changed?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

some bacteria is weak against the blue spectrum of light.

4. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

Yes, and I recently stopped vodka dosing in my tank untill the new skimmer fully breaks in. It seemed that the condition was a bit worse after the carbon sourse was removed from the tank.

5. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

With that said I would almost definately say it is some type of bacteria.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Wow! Great observation... My ushio 14k is about at the end of it's life so that makes sense! I'll be replacing in a month so we can see what happens there...

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Good stuff here! So that makes sense... After my old tank sprung the leak I literally stopped dosing immediately!

Husbandry for this new tank is the same and no major changes... Maybe a decrease in flow cuz I'm still waiting for my vortech to get in :)

8. Click Here!

9. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I dont think the lower flow has much to do with the problem. My tank is a 90 gallon with mag 9.5 return, an mp40w on each side of the tank(2 total), and an evo750 on the back wall. The bacteria(or whatever this stuff is) seems to be happy in the high flow.

10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I had a similar prob back a few months ago..mine was a little worse but pretty close...and I too had to leave my sock off because it clog in minutes.. ..what kind of cal or alk do you dose....It was happening to me from a brand of cal I was using(nothing wrong with the cal it turned out to be my tank)..please read a small part from that thread below from the manufacture...

"From your description of what happens when you dose the BLANK Calcium, I surmise that this is a bacterial bloom type of effect you are witnessing. Does the water become slightly cloudy as well? Since BLANK Calcium does in fact, contain an organic, there is a potential to feed other organisms as well as the corals with this carbohydrate. I have seen this happen before, but only in situations where the product has been overdosed (which the label clearly states not to do) and/or the system has a minimal amount of biological media in place. It doesn't sound like you overdosed the product, so I am assuming the latter. Tanks that rely only on live rock and live sand for colonization of bacteria are the types of systems that may see this result when using an organic supplement, such as BLANK Calcium."

And even now if I add anything new it comes back a little,but will usually go away soon after..ok I know this was alot but hope it helps..PIC BELOW OF SLIMEISH STUFF..what you cant see is like in your pic its covering the rocks as well as being stringy..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

awesome... i am using kalk and recently had a slight overdose when my float valve got stuck on :(
    that is when it got much worse than usual, as well as either a bacterial bloom or a precipitation event in the tank.
    This could be related... and i hate to do it cuz my corals will get mad, but i think i will discontinue dosing for a few days to see if this has any effect on the populations?

12. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

..yea thats what I did just let everything adjust for a few days..let us know it works out..

1 person likes this.