Question for Concealed Carry guys

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by =Jwin=, Feb 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

+1000000000000

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yep when second count, the cops are only minutes away. That's why I took a CPR and First Aid course. Some amublances are simply retarded. At a hospital five minutes from my college, there's been stories of ambulances taking twenty minutes to find someone.

The same goes with carrying. I can't carry yet, but that doesn't prevent me from at least carrying an assisted opening Gerber knife with me (knives are just plain handy all around. not just self defense). Obviously, the very last thing someone with a CC permit wants to do is draw their weapon. But it's an added safety cushion as a "last resort" to fall back on. If a mugger doesn't listen to you, and according to him taking your money isn't enough, he'll listen when he's staring down the barrel of a .45 or what have you.

As ReefSparky said on a thread similar to this when answering "why do you carry?" (actually i think it was me that asked the question) his reply was: "Because I love my wife very much. And if she's not with me, I love life very much."

And yeah, if I'm carrying and end up popping a guy in an extreme situation, once he's no longer a threat I'll start giving him First Aid. Most people shoot to stop, not shoot to kill.

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh, and just a little tidbit of advice: you wanna know a great way to "bandage" or stop the bleeding with a bullet wound? A tampon. Yep. Not even kidding. I learned that one from an Army Officer (he learned it through Ranger School). He said special dressings for bullet wounds are limited in their aid kits, but tampons are super cheap at almost every store you can find.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

In my eyes.. and this is my belief.. If it gets to this point where I draw, its game over.. Im not going to hesitate.. And Im going to be accurate and hit my mark.. There is not going to be a chance that I get thrown in jail 20 years for injuring a mugger and paying the price because of some stupid law his state appointed lawyer just happened to find making me guilty. catch my drift..

6. Biggs2003

Biggs2003 Flamingo Tongue

Good catch. I've read a few state statues where CCW is permitted and brandishing a weapon, telling someone you have a firearm or even removing the covering in a threating manner can land you with a charge of your own. From what I know, there is a threat escalation procedure and no where in there states "take out firearm to scare assailant straight". Now on the flip side, retreat is always preferred as apposed to squeezing the trigger, if you have a choice. Otherwise, as the saying goes, "Only aim at which you intend to destroy."

7. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Just a little tidbit of info, here in wyoming there is a bill they are trying to pass and if it does you will not need a concealed weapons permit to carry. I don't know weather to be excited or scared!

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Jwinn what about sweat......not real sure I'd put it there. How about a nice shoulder holder? OR even a pocket pistol..usually 5-6 shots and it hits harder than a Ruger 22 long pistol..you put it in your pocket and you have to cock it back to load everytime. I'll find a pic of one. they're weird to shoot with the first couple of times but you get used tot them and to me they are the easiest guns to hold/shoot.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I have a leather fanny pack that is a holster. It will carry my 40cal, 45cal, or even my 44mag revolver. I have had for 12 years & is very handy.

This is not what I have, but will give you an idea... It's about $40.00

Attached Files:

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I have had a license to carry in Massachusetts since I was 18. I also have out of state license for other states as well. Something I have learned a long time ago.... "Better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6" ;D

1 person likes this.
  12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

When my wife and I run in the morning while it's still dark, I use a fanny pack. It's almost 10 years old and painfully out of fashion, so it's worn when folks are not likely to see me, or it.

During the day, since I'm not big on shorts, I use an ankle holster much of the time, and my jeans conceal as required by law. If not the ankle holster, a paddle holster can be worn on the side, or the small of the back. If you're not familiar with these, the only portion of them that's exposed is a belt loop (or two). The rest of the assembly is in the pants. While they're made to accomodate nearly any firearm; paddle holsters are best suited for smaller guns.

Thunderwear was never an option for me, as I'm not comfortable with the area and its microclimate if you get my meaning. Florida weather is humid enough, and guns and rust go together like peanut butter and jelly.

As for the safety issue perceived by some, especially with the Thunderwear and the sensitive locale--I think peredhil said it best. A gun will not go off unless the trigger is pulled. This is true close enough to 100% of the time, and I'd be comfortable carrying concealed absolutely anywhere on my body, were it not for the propensity of the gun to rust. Most guns today are engineered so safe, such as a glock, that they have no external safety. They're made with the rationale and premise that the gun will NOT discharge without the trigger being pulled by a finger. The days of a firearm discharging when dropped to the ground are all but over.

As is always the case, I appreciate everyone's professionalism on this thread. Please keep the OP's original question in mind when responding. Even though 3reef might be the last place you'd expect other folks "looking in," the anti gun crowd loves any ammunition they can get to further their case. While certainly entertaining, making mention of taking pop shots at non-game species is probably best left for elsewhere.