Question about Purple Up

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by jasond56, Jun 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

imho as long as you keep your water params at the desired level and have rock with coraline on it to seed the tank you should be fine...coraline will start to show before you know it!

2. Click Here!

3. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

Purple-up works. I can almost watch the coraline intensifying on a daily basis. Purple, green, red and yellow (the green is awesome). Fantastic product. My nano has been going since late July and the rock (30#) is pretty much covered in coraline.

4. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

My tank has been set up for about two months now. After about 1 month i had coraline sprouting everywhere, and then it just stopped. I started doing the cookbook method from GARF and have been doing it for about 3 weeks. I still dont see any new coraline. My alk is 3, pH is 8.1, nitrates, nitrites, and free amm all 0, total amm =0.02, salinity 1.025. Is it worth trying purple up, or just let it be?

I havent checked iodine levels but i dont have any corals yet except a mushroom, and do 20% water change every month.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

As mentioned early coralline need true Actinic lighting thats why you see it always in the lower parts of the tank first and then under the ledges and in diffused sections in the corners . Then when you have that move up to a good say URI actinic white bulb and a Super actinic 03 bulb .. I have never been a fan of putting corals into a tank that was not growing a good healthy coralline colony they are a great Barometer of a tanks health and readiness for more callous coral life. Coralline are not really algae but a simple primitive coral its self. M/H when implemented as the tank progresses will sometimes burn it off but if you had a good healthy growth then it will recover. But if you stay with Fluorescents then there will be no burning issues to worry about .

6. barmer

barmer Plankton

So 65watts 20/20 PC on a 20 gallon high should be enough light?