Question about Magnesium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Tight Lipped, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

Guru - All

So what are your tanks consumption rates and size? I would like to know what to expect or to see as realistic or concerning.

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

no two tanks are the same, i only have acropora, so my consumption rates are higher than someone with softies. to give you an idea my daily consumption rate is about 80 Ca, 11 dkH, 4 Mg, 1 Sr. and slowly over time the numbers rise since the corals grow and the consumption rate changes.

some help to figure out your consumption rates
    20 Ca = 2.8 dKH = 1 meq/L
    Ca: Mg: Sr = 100: 5: .1

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. Tight Lipped

So I have been folling the guides here but I have to say, I do not think I like the results so far, it seems more algae is growing on the rocks, My leather, kenya tree and toadstool have receded with some algae growing on them.

Not sure why but this is starting to get to be a big PIA

5. Tight Lipped

Well here is the latest after a week

After last's week second dose of 1/3 cup turbo calcium and followed by a cup of epsom salt I think it is finally getting better

Today the Ca was measures at 480, it has been going up since the last dose a week ago except for a cap of purple up every day.

The Mg was over 1400 last Sunday, still need to test it today, Alk is up around 11 - 12 or 3.6 meq/l

PH is a little high so I have not been adding any buffers.

I also slowed the feeding rate down to every other day and twice weekly for plankton and cyclo peez