Question about Magnesium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Tight Lipped, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

I think that is what I will do, I will bring it up .

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I think that you should(1.025) Kalk is another form of cal. Im using it to help raise my ph.

kalkwasser
    Kalkwasser is a German word meaning "limewater". Limewater is the common name for calcium hydroxide. Calcium hydroxide is a substance with a very high pH that can be used to supply calcium to your tank. If you are using a calcium reactor, you do not need a kalk reactor, and vice versa

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

not really, both together make a wicked combination for corals. but, caution, not for the non-experienced. i have a Ca reactor and CaOH2. the CO2 runs 24/7 and the effluent is 6.7 pH at a drip rate that matches the tanks dKH consumption rate. the CaOH2 is run 24/7 on aatoc.

CaOH2 or kalkwasser or limewater or the stuff that you dont want to inhale

6. Tight Lipped

Here is the latest test results

Mg = 1300
    PH = 8.4 (I am using a Red Sea and the result is blue not purple, maybe my PH is high.
    ALK - 3.3-3.5 Meq/l
    Ca = 420

Yes the Ca is up, I dosed it with 1/4 cup 2 nights ago then last night with 1/3 cup of Kent turbo Ca.

Right now I am dripping in another cup of epsom Salt, this should get it up another 100

The ? is how do I maintain the Ca?

Now I undersatnd Kalk (that is what I thought), I use to use 2 TBS in a gallon (what the directions say) and drip overnight once per week, it is Kent Kalk, I also have Seachem Kalk but have not used it.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If I where you I would stop dosing everything and watch how it gets consumed, the comsumption rate.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Amen, I run mine the same. Keeps the Ca at around 440 to 450.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

ditto, the other key is finding out the tanks dKH consumption rate. also the tanks Ca rate. wait 24 hrs during which time do not dose anything. then test to find out the difference. that way you will know whats what.

11. Tight Lipped

That is what I will do, I can start to log it and look for trends.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

for the most part i think we all carry a log. with a list of scheduled maintenance, Ca,Mg,dkH,Sr and so on.

once you find the tanks Ca and dKH consumption rate, managing the tank will be easier as long as the Mg is high enough to sustain both of those elements. the rest just falls into place.