Quarantine Tank?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Rocheal, Feb 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you have a Quarantine tank?

1. Yes! And I use it religiously!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. I have one, but only use it based on discretion.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. I need to get one...

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I don't have one, and don't want one.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Rocheal

Rocheal Astrea Snail

How many of you keep a quarantine tank? If so, do you religiously use it? Whether or not you use a Q-tank, how many disease outbreaks have you had? What diseases?

If you vote, please explain!! I am soaking in information and would love your opinion.

I voted that I need to get one. I definitely see how they would be useful and I hate the thought of losing anything due to something I could have possibly prevented.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

If you search, you'll find this exact poll done a few times... might help with getting some info...

Before I give my opinion, I'm going to distinguish that I am talking about a QT and not a hospital tank.

IMO, a QT is just another layer of stress and IMO stress is the number one evil for our inhabitants. I find QT to be counter productive (obviously, you can hand pick exceptions; just speaking in general).

I'd say you are better off getting livestock from a known good source and keeping the DT healthy. Do a dip if it's really necessary as this will be more effective than QT anyway.

1 person likes this.
  4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I may agree with Peredhil that a true QT is of less value than a hospital tank. I personally quarantine and medicate all new fish for several weeks prior to introduction to my DT. I find it is easier that way to be sure I am not introducing parasites into my DT. Once the fish are in the DT it is very difficult to later remove them, and they can infect your whole system.

5. Rocheal

Rocheal Astrea Snail

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I agree they are good points, but to be fair, lot's of folks don't agree with me. There are definitely competing views on this topic.

7. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

I use a QT tank but only keep fish in it for a week to 10 days. I find after that the ammonia and nitrite levels become more difficult to control and the risks begin to outweigh the benefits. Thank Goodness, I have had no DT outbreaks but have lost several fish in the QT tank (especially early on)