Quarantine Tank Setup, any advice?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Scubagator87, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

So I want to setup a quarantine tank for when I get my next fish/shrimp? I'm looking for just a 10 gallon setup. How do you guys recommend I set it up (filtration, aeration, sand, heater)? How is it different from the main display tank, and what is really important to include in its setup?

And if anyone has any information on the "quarantine process" (how to, when to, how long for...) That would also be very helpful.

Thanks! 8)

P.S. is it recommended to quarantine inverts like cleaner shrimp?

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i wouldnt quarintine a cleaner shrimp.
    A. Eventually and most likely you will use copper in your quarintine. heck, i think your supposed too, and that kills inverts, QUICK.
    B. Its a cleaner shrimp. It eats the parasites :p

A quarintine is a simple as a ten gallon placed on a dresser or such with an Hang on back filter with establised media (Take some substrate, put in media bag, and put in filter (trust me it helps)). You could put like a plastic cup or something for the fish to hide in, and viola, Quartintine tank ;)

2 people like this.
  4. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

yea, i don't know why I didn't think about the copper thing, ive read it so many times lol! So no extra aeration needed?

1 person likes this.
  5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

actually, i would throw an airstone in there! Good thinking.........karma!

6. jas3600

jas3600 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have kept a 10 gallon up for years for those just in case moments.

I originally took a piece of live rock out of my reef tank and put in in there just to have something in the tank. I always keep new fish and coral in there before introducing them into the main tank.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

LR really shouldn't be placed in a qt, if cu is used, it will kill the bacteria on the lr as well. Also, you can quarantine inverts. Inverts too can carry the bacteria or parasites either in the water or on themselves. This really depends on your own preferences. If you do quarantine inverts, make sure no copper was used, as said, or that you wash your tank out fully with clean water and either white vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide. NO DETERGENTS!

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Also, you could also use a small powerhead instead of the airstone