QT versus DT

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Flyguysc, Mar 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Will a QT cycle faster than a DT? My DT is 90gals. & my QT is 16 gals. Seems like a no brainer but not sure. Thanks for your help

2. Click Here!

3. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Maybe I have stalled the cycle not sure.Wed. my nh3/4 was 8.0 ppm I pulled the dead shrimp after seven days and started ghost feeding Wed.3/18/14. My parameters where PH 8.2 nh3/4 0.ppm, no2 0.ppm , no3- .5 ppm as of Thurs. 3/20/14. Guess I will check again tonight. Using API test kit. My QT filter is a whisper large with Seachem bio stones in a bag with heater, air stone and power head.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Stop feeding for a day or two and see where you end up. If you do not see the NH3 drop in two days, do a small water change. Make sure you're following the directions on the API kit, they suck and little tiny deviations can cause error in testing, like how long you read the results after adding the reagents.

5. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Actually the nh3 did drop from 8.0ppm to o.ppm in a two day time frame. That's why I"m confused a little bit.

6. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Okay I took my parameter reading when I got home this afternoon (could not wait) does that make me a fish nut :) yea I guess so, love this life style. I have learned quickly that this is not so much a hobby, IT's a enjoyable commitment. My readings were PH 8.2, NH3 8.0ppm NO 2 0 ppm, NO30 ppm . What happened from yesterday to today? No clue:confused:. Could it be operator error sure, but I have been using this api kit since January on my 90 gal. dpt and it has been consistent. Kits expiration date is 2018. Go figure.

7. Singlefin

Singlefin Astrea Snail

Qt doesn't need to cycle. These no live rock or sand. Just a foam pump, heater/chiller,and a piece of PVC. If you can leave your foam pump in your sump/tank to build bacteria that would be good. You're going to have to change water more often on the qt. keep the water clean.