QT Corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by flynhawaiianz28, Jun 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

yeah man i heard it is a pretty crazy dip and seems to do the trick! I read up on it a month ago and was shocked it could be used on coral cause i think of coral as being pretty fragile. I will post a link to the thread I was reading up on through yesterday again. I'm gonna have to say I'm gonna give this a go. People were even dipping other corals other than SPS and LPS, even like zoas and mushrooms.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/100496-bayer-insecticide-coral-dip.html

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah. I've dipped everything ...Zoas and LPS. Only use the Bayer advanced in photo above. My Home Depot has it (about $13)

The only drawback for me is it's milky. So it's harder to inspect the dead stuff.
    I have some interceptor standing by for a red bug treatment but so far I think the dips may have killed my red bugs. I've been doing weekly or more dips.
    New corals that go in my QT will get at least weekly dips for a couple of months. Some of these worms are just to hard to see even with magnifier and the eggs could survive.

flynhawaiianz28 likes this.
  4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I forgot to ad to the list above.. Vermatid snails.
    I once emailed Coral RX and asked if coral rx would kill vermatids.. they said it would.
    Somehow they still snuck in. If you haven't already get a good pest eating wrasse. I have a melanuras. I'm not sure what he eats but he doesn't seem to eat planaria. I've read some people theirs will and some won't. But it seems he keeps the vermatids from extending their stringy net at least. He's always picking at the rocks so he probably finds something pesty to eat.

flynhawaiianz28 likes this.
  5. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks for the info! That list will come in handy for sure. I will take all that into consideration. With this new tank I have started I am starting to do everything a little different this time around. I've put more money and patience in this tank getting it setup and cycled more than any other and I have started to QT everything now. I'm kind of going of the saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and making sure everything is done thoroughly as possible so I can have the best tank I can and not cut corners. I want to put a decent amount of money into corals this time around and I want them to last so QT is the route to go.

Yeah I have heard that the Bayer is milky and it is hard to see through to make sure your getting off all the stuff you want from the coral. Is the Coral RX clear? I totally understand the reasoning behind multiple dips though. Unless the eggs aren't killed and they hatch eventually then one of the dips can catch that problem and take care of it. Natural predation is always a plus and is one wrasse better than another? Only reason I ask is cause I'm limited on space in a 20 rimless so I want a small reef safe wrasse without an attitude and was considering a pink-streaked wrasse.

I'm kind of worried about doing the Bayer dip. My gut feeling tells me that it would hurt the softies but I've seen a lot of people say they just dip everything and a lot have success and very few coral deaths. I guess I don't want to kill a coral and lose my money on it but that can be the nature of the hobby. Maybe I need to suck it up and just do it and get it over with and see what happens.

: coral, lps, sps