Qiuck Questions!!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by xmonkey27, Nov 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmonkey27

xmonkey27 Plankton

Hey everyone, just got a peppermint Shrimp and a Feather Duster. Was just wondering for some info about both of them. I know that they both help with cleaning the tank and stuff like that, but was just wondering your points of view on them.

Thanks again

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Watch the shrimp. They can often become aggressive towards some corals and will pick at them a lot, just personal experience and what has happened to quite a few other members. They will however get rid of any aptasia you might have which is a plus. The duster is just a filter feeder and it should be fed occasionally by dosing the tank with something like DT's phyto. Welcome to 3reef btw.

4. xmonkey27

xmonkey27 Plankton

Thanks. Didn't know about the shrimp aggression, but I'll see and find out what happens.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

They are great shrimp to have in your tank. Be sure you are topping off at least once a day. Shrimp are very sensitive to salinity swings. The more water that evaporates the bigger the salinity swing.

6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

well actually if you get an actual peppermint shrimp it wont attack corals but what happens is there mistaken for camel shrimp which do eat corals so if you see him eats your corals its probubly a camel shrimp. also you need about 2-3 peppermint shrimp for them to tackle any aipstasia problem that you have but if you dont then one should be enough for now. good luck and welcome to 3reef!!!! p.s we like pictures=]

1 person likes this.
  7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

+1 camel shrimp get the blame on this one.

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I know camel shrimp are usually the ones to blame, but the one I had was an actual peppermint and it wouldn't leave things alone. They are very active shrimp IMO and can make a great addition but just be sure to watch it.

10. xmonkey27

xmonkey27 Plankton

Oh thanks for the info.

Also, I'm wondering about the feather duster. I don't really know what it does. I've heard it doesn't really do much, but is supposed to filter the water??

11. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yeah, that's basically all they do. Just sit there and filter out passing particles.

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yeah, feather dusters just hang out and collect particles from the water. I love mine (as long as I don't think about them being big worms). They are pretty to watch sway in the water.