Putting my foot in my mouth - Zoanthid Sting

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Brandon1023, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Agreed. Even though Denver is quite far from the ocean or any reef. It does have awesome snow skiing, however.

Quite an informative thread. Well done, test subject! :D :D

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

LOL gee thanks! :cheesy:

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

LOL yeah glad to hear you're doing better!!!

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I don't think we can even begin to know what's in our tanks. Thats why its important to be safe when in there. I'm glad you're better, and I'm glad this thread came up to remind us that we are in just as dangerous a hobby as any.

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

A small update: This stuff just refuses to let go!! The bumps and swelling and irritation are all gone. But now every part that got stung, including my entire pinky finger and ring finger, all have skin peeling from those areas. It doesn't hurt of course, but it definitely killed that top layer of my skin. It's just annoying because it looks bad. I'm going to get a pumice stone tonight because it's going on like 10 days with this now. Good grief.

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

...Thanks for that...um...image ;) Grind away my friend! Hope all is well soon. Now we KNOW not to get stung by a zoa. At first we were like, eh, he lived, it can't be too bad. But golly gee, if it's gone on long enough to ressurect this thread, yikes! Get well soon.

8. Click Here!

9. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

Yeah, I always wear gloves when I am in my tank- god knows what I might get touching some of that stuff. :p

10. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I was told about them being poisonous and dont let the dog lick my hands after I touch them cause they will kill him. I always rub my fingers together in the water to get the slime stuff off before I touch anything, especially other corals, I never thought about when I start the siphon.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

as long as you didn't put your hands in your mouth after it happened, you will be okay.

12. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

This has been very informative, sorry about your pain, but what a learning experience you have brought to all of us.
    I have always known that zoas were poisonous. But I do have one thing to add. I just went through and read every thread and i think we are missing something kind of important here. It may seem common sense to some but we can all see what our common sense can do to us.

So, with the zoas, my LFS has advised me to always wear goggles or glasses when handling them. He said even acclimating them can be dangerous and if you irritate one, its possible for them to actually squirt their toxins. He said it happens more frequently when fragging zoas, but if you plan on taking them out and handling them, whether to frag or what not, to wear some kind of protection for your eyes. Just thought I would add that.
    So be careful.

And I think Im allergic to something in my tank too. If I dont rinse my hands and arms under cold water after messing around in the tank, I get all red and itchy, not for long, usually an hour or so, I think its actually something in the water, because sometimes it happens just doing water changes when I dont even touch live rock, sand or corals. But if I rinse under cold water, it usaully helps.