Putting my foot in my mouth - Zoanthid Sting

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Brandon1023, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

LOL no I'm in Denver. But my employer has Kaiser. I don't know how national they are, but they seem pretty big. Everything is very automated with them. You give them your number and when you see the doc and they prescribe you something, you don't even get a prescription. They just put it in their database and they have their own pharmacy where you go and again give them your number and there's your prescription. It's pretty convenient in a way that the pharmacy and lab (I also got some blood taken for STD tests and what have you) are all in the same building. But it's also pretty impersonal. So it's give and take.

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Good thing it wasn't something more serious like a blue ringed octupus. I have read that the toxin in zoas can be lethal if it gets into an opened wound. We all need to be careful.

1 person likes this.
  4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

There's no cure for a blue ringed octopus wound. Which flat out SUCKS. Just think, getting nipped by one of those means you're pretty much done. :(

Hope it heals up soon! Let us know what works and what doesn't, we might as well do some research on it while we have a test subject :D

5. NeonGoby93

NeonGoby93 Plankton

Get well soon! Wow that does it I'm never getting Zoas...never ever...gosh darn and they're my faves :(

1 person likes this.
  6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

This isn't my goal. Education is my goal. We all just need to be more careful that's all. Get your Zoas, man!

1 person likes this.
  7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh man don't let something like that get you down, man! Zoas are probably my favorite kind of coral! You don't need to feed them or do anything, and yet they can be SOOOO pretty.

8. Click Here!

9. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

It's not easy being a doctor, so give them a break when it comes to diagnosing and/or being unknowledgeable about "what a coral polyp" is. I'm sure they don't have too many people coming into their clinic with coral burns, shark bites, or octopus stings..... especially in Denver. If you wanted someone knowledgeable, maybe fly down to the coastal areas of Florida, or California.... or even better. Take a boat ride off to Hawaii. You may find your experts there- but certainly don't bash or act astonished about medical professionals that haven't read the latest research on Palytoxins and their effects on the human system. (It isn't worth their time!)

1 person likes this.
  10. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

the response from your doctor is sad but not unexpected. I logged into my DAN account (Diver Alert Network) and researched coral rashes for you. Here is what DAN has to say - I hop this will help you:

Diving Medicine FAQs
    Coral Cuts, Scrapes and Rashes

Q: When I was diving two weeks ago, I inadvertently brushed up against a reef and apparently came in contact with a type of stinging coral. As soon as I got out of the water I noticed that I had a few small cuts and scrapes on the outside of my left wrist and forearm. Later that evening, I felt an itching and burning sensation around the affected skin. It became red and tender to touch. I washed it with soap and hot water, which actually seemed to help. However, the redness, itching and burning lasted for three to four days. The local doctor prescribed a steroid cream twice a day, and everything seemed to heal during the next four or five days.

Since I returned from my dive trip, the redness and itchy skin sensation have come back. The area is uncomfortable and not that pleasant to look at. I've never had trouble with any marine life before, so I am unsure if this reaction is to be expected or if this is unusual. Do I need special care?

A: Of the 12,000 to 13,000 information calls DAN receives each year, a little more than 2 percent (250-300 calls) are related to marine envenomation, bites or stings. Out of those calls, DAN gets 40 or 50 calls, about one a week, relating to someone who has come in contact with coral.

It is not uncommon for a diver to have a red raised rash resulting from a coral encounter. A burning sensation, pain and itching may also accompany a rash if the coral is actually a hydroid, such as fire coral, which is not a true coral, but a stinging creature. The extent of the reaction to fire coral depends on the amount of exposure to toxins, the extent of the abrasion and pre-existing sensitivity of the victim.

You did the correct thing to clean the wound with soap and water: reactions may be reduced by immediately cleansing the affected area. The most frequent complications from non-stinging coral scrapes are inflammation, which leads to poor healing, and, less commonly, a secondary infection. Proper cleansing, therefore, is very important.

If fire coral is the culprit, then dilute acetic acid solution, such as household white vinegar, is a reasonable topical decontaminant and should be used as a soak to reduce the pain. It's inexpensive and readily available. Other substances that have been used with variable effect are rubbing alcohol, baking soda or papain, which is unseasoned meat tenderizer, in solution or as a paste. If commercial meat tenderizer is used, the application must not last longer than 10 minutes. This will prevent the remedy from injuring sensitive skin.

It is not uncommon for the rash, itching and burning to recur after these symptoms have resolved initially because tiny, microscopic fragments of living coral can remain in the wound. In addition, a cyclic immune response (redness, inflammation, itching, and swelling, itching or burning) can persist for a few weeks after the incident.

Treatment for the inflammatory response is symptomatic. Steroid creams are rarely helpful, and they can prolong a skin infection. If the inflammation is severe, systemic steroids in a moderate, tapering dose may be administered under the supervision of a trained medical provider. Oral antihistamines can sometimes, but not always, help reduce the itching or burning sensation.

When underwater, try to avoid contact with coral or any other living creature. Whenever possible, wear a wetsuit or diveskin to protect yourself during those times when you are pushed into coral by another diver or by a current.

Ocean divers should consider a marine animal first aid kit for their travels. This will speed up the time to properly administer first aid for injuries. Additionally, for divers who want to learn more about the various marine life injuries, there are courses in marine life identification, first aid courses and a variety of books and publications available.

11. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

Doctors are a joke 90% of the time, nothing pisses me off more than a doctor that might as well be a paper weight. I have found this to be the case more times than not. I have found Vets have a better time treating rashes etc.... because they treat symtoms rather than listen to the complaining patient.

Nothing is worse in the US than the medical industry. I work in it and have seen alot.

12. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow Brandon - hope you feel better soon!

I would like to throw out a question - What kind of gloves would be best?
    The protective gloves pictured below are too bulky.
    [​IMG]
    Would regular latex gloves work, or are they too thin?

1 person likes this.