Purple Up question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by rking, Dec 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

ive never used the stuff and my coraline algae is thicker than the glass in some spots, its natures cement to keep the reef together. basically need a jackhammer to get the rocks apart. if this stuff works, i wouldnt want to use it. my question is, what are the parameters prior and after the introduction of using it? if it boosts certain elements than another supplement will have the same effect with good water quality.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

I make my own

HI,
    This is essentially the same ingredients as purple up, I take a 2 litter container, put 4 cups of fresh crushed FLA Coral gravel, Fill to top with R/O water and shake it up and instant purple up. Hey its renewable and cheep.
    It adds all the trace elements, carbonate, strotium and other stuff. R/0 water will dissolve carbonate rather quickly.
    It is exactly the same thing, I can use one 10 pound bag of coral for about a year.
    Or your can buy a couple hundred dollars of purple up. They just grind up the coral rock and sell it wet. Doug
    My guess its ultra ground argonite gravel sand. the water will clear in about a day similar to purple up it clears in about 8 hours.
    ((Ten micron aragonite--targets the live rock surface, where it dissolves in situ (in place), delivering calcium, strontium, magnesium and carbonate right where it is needed.
    It also replenishes idoine, an essential element for coralline algae tissues that quickly becomes depleted in closed systems.))

Ps DOn't add vinegar to the water it will cause spikes in your tank, due to bacterial load.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What you're talking about is commonly sold as "aramomite". If you keep your calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels good and steady, you should have no problem growing coralline.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

amen