purple tip anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gsoria31, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. studlylilmouse

studlylilmouse Astrea Snail

Not to take too much away from Anemones, but the petco around here suck, i go in to get salt cuz its cheaper and have to go through and get some flunky employee to pull all the dead fish out while i watch..... I hate that they dont care .........although i have resorted to buying damsels from there to cycle a tank or two, the good thing is my new tank water is better than petcos 'established ' system and when im done with the damsels they are very very healthy

2. Click Here!

3. cooljjay

cooljjay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I might go buy petco tomorrow and save a goby or something. I feel that at least on of the fish deserves a good home. I swear the parakeet I got from there years ago still isn't right. The one in my town was shut down one time for cruelty to the birds, very very sad

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

how can you abuse an animal, thats sick as hell... especially a fricken "place of business"

5. studlylilmouse

i dont have FW anymore but i always find it amazing as to how often local DFG has the fish at petco under quarantine its horrible

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I know. Last time I went to petco, they had 11 yellow tangs. All had lateral line disease, fin rot, or hole-in-head, or any combination thereof. All had serious underweight issues as well. Clowns had ich, koran angel had ich, random dead fish just sitting in tanks everywhere, it was disgusting. None were being treated or quarintined in any way. It made me so fracking mad. I absolutely hate going to that place sometimes, but its the only place in town I can get stuff for my other pets. Plus the LFS here closes at 5:30, so if I have to pick something up after work, it gets close sometimes and I have to go.
    I really think there needs to be some change in legislature at the national level to help protect against this sort of thing. Theres ton of laws in protection of mammals, reptiles, and rodents that pet stores have to abide by, but none for marine. Its very disturbing

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Best way to hurt Petco is to stop shopping there. You can buy pretty much any and all pet supplies and livestock online so you don't have to go there if they're the only game in town. If you buy their fish in an effort to "save" them, they're only going to get more to replace what you buy.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Report each business specifically to the Coral Reef Alliance. Join them if you afford to. The are nonprofit organization, and a very good one I might add.

http://www.coral.org/

1 person likes this.
  10. studlylilmouse

ty cutting i will be checking them out shortly

11. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

BTW, the picture you had where it was "open" showed that you had a condy and not a purple tip. DeathCo is well known for selling these as purple tip as when they are stressed, they tend to take up color of things near them on their tentacles. After my last run in with a condy sold as a purple - I learned alot.

I purchased a purple the other day, and it's sitting at the lfs for another week till I work out my temp issues.

no matter what, my tank is at 82 - even with me borrowing a chiller... go figure.

12. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

I don't know if your anemone died already but try to find a rock with a nice hole in it to hide his base, i have a Haitian anemone and he lives in a huge purple barnacle in my tank and moves once in a blue moon;D;D