purple tip anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gsoria31, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

If it "croaked" you'd know it when you took it out. It would be a slime ball and would have smelled horrible.

1st thing you did wrong, shopped at Pecto. They are notorious for not informing and selling to unsuspecting customers, things they don't need or don't know how to take care of....It's about the money not the critter
    2nd thing you did wrong, bought a critter without doing your own research before you bought it.
    3rd It was still alive. Just freaking out from rolling around. When you got it you should have drip acclimated it for at least an 1-2 hours, slowly. Then lifted it out of the bag, with gloves on and placed it on a piece of live rock in the tank and kinda held it lightly(not squishing it) until it attached. It looked pretty healthy to me, just stressed badly from rolling around.
    4 DON'T POKE ANYTHING in your tank!

Please research anemone's if you plan to keep them in the future. You really need to have a good idea of what you are doing before trying to keep these. They take forever in the wild to grow and can live for hundreds of years, but inexperienced people take them and drop them in their tanks and they live for a day or two and they wonder why, then go back and buy another.................

I had a flower anemone that lived for about 6 years in my 55gal. That was long for one in captivity. I'm not trying to be mean, but I have a soft spot for anemones. Wish I could fill a tank with them!

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You cant re-activate carbon by letting it dry out. Carbon locks in the toxins, and once they are in the carbon, they are in there for good. Carbon has to be replaced

4. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

Well i thought i had everything covered or else i wouldnt of bought him. I told the guy at petco exactly what my setup was and he said it should do fine. IM gonna get some live rock and better test kits and then ill go from there. I wont be taking any advice from people outside of this forum anymore...Ok so if i replace the carbon in my filter thats good enough?

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

was it slimy? or just a semi-hard ball?

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

oh i bet he did tell you your set-up was fine, im surprised he didnt try and get you to buy the "super easy goniopora" that grow like weeds and never ever die ;)

FYI unless you know for a fact the employee is knowledgable, dont ever trust them, most are only out to make the sale.

7. cooljjay

cooljjay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I totally feel what you are saying, i feel so bad when I go to petco and see all the anemone balled up and died, then the fish dead on the bottom. makes me feel so sad. I wish mine would have hung on, I felt so bad when it balled up. I also got so mad at fedex when I called to check on my package, I was suppose to get my light on the 13th and didn't get it till the 17th.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thats about all you can do. It really depends if it did actually die, and if it was dead, for how long and how much toxins could have been released. Just keep an eye on everything.
    Are there any other local fish stores (LFS) in your area, like just fish stores, and not petco's or petsmarts? Not all of them out there are great, but a dedicated aquarium store would be better than a petco.

10. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

you have a petsmart?? mine only does freshwater, they said SW was too hard and there tanks kept crashing....

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Its interesting to see that the PetCo's out here arent the only bad ones, but seem to be all that way. I honestly have not seen a single fish at my local PetCo that wasnt diseased or in a dire situation in some way. Its at the point where I dont know how they arent being nailed in some way for animal cruelty. It seriously makes me sick to my stomach :angry:. Our tank inhabitants are important living creatures too, and deserve all the rights and special care that dogs and cats do.

12. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

Ok thanks again for all the help...