purple tip anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gsoria31, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

My thoughts exactly. If it were me I would get it out of there ASAP. Just my 2 cents, though.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

In the fist picture. In the background is that a freshwater Angel?

4. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

LOL a kids goldfish tank..IM not to knowledgeble on this stuff but im trying. Thats why im here. I do apreciate the help though. Amonia is at 0. temp is about 76. I bought a Measuring device that stays inside the tank and everything read good. I have done regular water changes and i used a water conditioner that treats amonia and nitrates,nitrites. The salt is around 1.024. He actually has been moving around on his own power although hes been staying halfway open most of the time. I look into getting better lighting today. By the way how much does it go for usually for halide or T5?

5. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

Its a Mono actually.

1 person likes this.
  6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No, its very good that you are asking and seeking advice. I didnt mean that in an offensive way and probably should have worded it differently.
    Live rock is crucial to the tanks filtration. If you want to go for a reef tank (keep stuff like coral and anemone's), you should aim for about 1 and a 1/2 pounds or more of rock per gallon. If you have the time, browse the forums photo gallery of peoples tanks, and get a visual of the amount of rock thats in most. Its not just something that looks pretty; its required.
    Well, maybe we should start at the basics. I would get a decent API test kit. The in the tank monitors are uaually very inaccurate. What are you doing for water flow (powerheads, skimmers, filters)? What are some of the other inhabitants of the tank?
    And I hate to tell you, but metal halides and T5's are some of the most expensive lighting fixtures out there, and are used for keeping the most-light demanding creatures (certain corals, clams, anemone's).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  7. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

Oh its cool man i thought that was hilarious. I have a cascade 750. Its a canister filter. I think thats what you call it, which is overkill for a 30 gal tank but i figured it would do a good job of filtration. I have the mono and a puffer.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

OKay, aside from the lights, anemones live on collecting food from the water column and need good flow to survive. A couple of powerheads would be in order for that. I recommend Koralia's.
    A general rule of thumb is that an ideal waterflow would be about a 40x turnover rate. Meaning that if you had a 30 gallon tank, you would want 1200 gallons per hour (GPH) of combined flow in the tank (adding up the GPH's of filters, powerheads, skimmer, etc).

10. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help man. Ill look into that. Im upgrading to a 50 gal would those still suffice?

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The Koralia's? Sure, they come in all different sizes. Can get one for anything from a 5 gallon to a couple hundred gallons. For a 50 gallon a couple of Koralia 2's would work decent.

12. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

Heres another pic the guy im geting a little worried now. Hes moving under his own power and was fully opened up earlier today.

Attached Files: