Purple mushroom looks bad!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I have 3 purple mushrooms in my tank. All 3 have been doing well for a while. I do not feed them anything. I feed the fish in the tank and it seems to take care of them fine. They have almost doubled in size since I got them. This morning when I was checking things out all 3 looked great. Tonight 1 of the mushrooms is flat against the rock and shriveled up. Also is almost a white in color. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hmmm.

If you could post a picture it would help.

Have you dosed anything?

Moved the mushrooms?

Without a picture hard to tell, but it sounds like it bleached for some reason.

Change bulbs?

Added new carbon?

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I havent changed the carbon but I was thinking of doing so. And no I have not moved them. I shut off the lights and figured I would wait to see how it looks in the morning. Hopefully it will still be alive!

6. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

I have seen my mushroom do that b4. Then it, like, took a spent xooanthalae poop or something, and then slowly went back to normal. I hope that is the case here. Maybe look in the AM and PM to see if is being affected by pH swings? Check flow? maybe something blew in it didn't like. I don't think they need much light or flow. But they were fine, so never mind that. 2 Cents

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thanks! I could see where a big poop would cause that. LOL

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Coralline posed a very good question! Every single time my shrooms looked sad and discolored was due to either an overdose of alkalinity or magnesium.

Check your alkalinity first. I bet it is more than 12 or 13. Mine was 16 and my purple shrooms looked very pale.

Run some tests and let us know the results. Also pictures will help.

-Mag.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I ran some tests on the tank
    PH 8.1
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10 PPM
    Amonia 0

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Shrooms can tolerate those parameters more than well, so nothing raises any flags on them, bud.

What about alkalinity? Do you have that test kit? Do all other shrooms look normal and just the one is looking sick?
    Shrooms like slow flow, IME.
    If you have other corals, the shroom may be too close to another softy that is irritating him.

No possibilities of a picture?

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I dont have an alk test.....and yes it is the only shroom looking ill. The other two are fine. There are no other corals close enough to reach this shroom. I turned off the tank lights and it seems to be flatening out instead of shriveled and regaining some color. At least as far as I can tell with just a room light on.