Purple goniopora.

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Oct 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Personally, I don't believe they need target feeding.

IIRC, goniopora are collected from lagoons. Most goniopora end up in tanks that keep SPS in pristine water conditions and high flow. As you stated, they like the low current. But they also need "dirty" tank conditions. At the LFS they never spot feed, and their show size goniopora is about the size of a basketball, and started as a fist size.

I'm not saying don't spot feed it, just simply in the right conditions, they don't NEED to be spot fed.

HTH

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Feeding it can not hurt it. As Va Reef stated Goniopora might not fare as well in tanks meant to run as low nutrient tanks.

Also mentioned that there are obviously different varieties of Goniopora, just like all other corals blanket statements do not cover each individual type.

Corals have mechanisms to eat, why not feed them then.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My statement is proven as is the moderators. Gonipora has to be fed. Just because you don't doesn't imply everyone else is wrong. Were all friends here trying to help eachother out. Your rudeness isn't helping anyone and by no means are any of us making BLANK statements. Most people keep pristine tanks so feeding is always gonna help.

5. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

If that came across as rude or arrogant I do apologize. I am not the only person who thinks there are varieties that do not need to be fed. I am sure ORA is a credible source. I have seen many times people keeping the ORA goniporias stating they do not feed them. I have read several studies that indicate that they do not need to be fed. I still stand by what I said that some species do not need to be fed. I would just leave it be for a while putting a cup over it is just going to stress it more and it won't accomplish anything if its polyps are not extending.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Corailline

I agree for the most part and respect ORA and their husbandry methods. Many people fail with Goniopora, remember the "rent a coral" days when the vast majority thrived for 2 months and then took 3 months to die. Error on the side of caution and at least try to feed them. The corals obviously accept foods. For decades the debate regarding success in keeping Goniopora was driven by the theory that something was missing nutritionally to sustain the coral long term. Now we have many different types from different geographical locations and new feeding and food strategies.

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

mueh...seems logical enough... ill try to sneaky behind a corner and see if I can catch the culprit red handed.

that's why I was asking if anyone knew or has witnessed some kind of fish nipping at these corals...

I have 3 questionable reef safe fish. a Singapore angel, coral beauty and big mouthed blue spot puffer, the latter being the one im concerned will do the most damage.....

as mentioned he did bite it when I first added it but seems to mind his own business now

8. Click Here!

9. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

I agree feeding it could not hurt if it's polyps are extended and you are not going to stress it more. Over 5 years I have tried on occasion a lot of different food and never once saw anything that looked like a feeding response.

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

I agree that putting a cup over may stress it further at this point, I have never personally target fed any of my corals but im open to try things out for the health of them.

sorry let me correct this, putting the current cup I have over it, as its a little of a tight fit and might touch the corals tissue near the skeleton freaking it out

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  11. Corailline

12. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

Has it opened yet? I don't think the rushed acclimation was a problem. I didn't acclimate mine aside from temperature and they opened up within an hour. It could be a flow issue, IME they are picky about flow. Also I don't think feeding it will do anything for it at this point.