Purple goniopora.

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Oct 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

I may have been a little presumptuous thinking I had the skill to keep this coral...

Ontop of it all I acclimated it in a rush (30 mins drip instead of the usual 1h) as i had an appointment.

Now im paranoid she wont make it, She is the newest addition. Got her yesterday.

First two pictures are from last night, last one is this morning.

How long do they usually take to acclimate? Are there any particular signs both negative and positive i can look out for?

Apparently this is a coral who can live off light alone but really needs target feeding in the long run, cab any one confirm this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381908551.190170.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381908579.594175.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381908616.271291.jpg

My toby already gave her a couple bites (no tissue was torn) as he always does when something new is added to the tank but he seems to have lost interest in it already. Any other known fish predators for this species? Id love to target feed it baby b but if its polyps dont extend she makes it very hard for me.

Parameters and filtraton:

2 radions
    Tunze reef pack 505
    Temp. 26. C
    Kh 9
    Ca. 450
    Mag 1300
    Po4 0.05
    No2 0
    No3 5
    Sal. 1.025

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

also placement is where there is a soft random current, similar flow to where my torch is, a little lighter in fact

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Gonipora needs fed atleast every other day, it won't live off light alone. Placement is fine. Personally I think an hour acclimation is extreme for anything so you'll be fine. I kept my gonipora for over a year until it outgrew its space.

5. Swisswiss

what did you feed it D? and was it target feeding or not

6. Swisswiss

also will it be able to catch food with its current polyp extension?

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Target feeding is recommended and I fed mine zooplankton. Theres many different brands but I prefered reef chili. Try taking a clear plastic cup and cut a small hole at the top. Then mix up the zoopkankton with water from your DT and suck it up in a syringe and slowly inject the food in the hole of the cup. After feeding is done remove the cup. That will ensure that the gonipora will get properly fed until you see good polyp extension. After a while you won't need the cup but always target feed him. I just got the wife a neon pink goni.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hey Jeff can you get Goniopower there? If so for sure give it a try. If not a nice slurry of very fine particulate mater. Crushed flakes or pellets with frozen smashed as fine as you can get it. Consider using a liter soda bottle cut in half and placing it over the Goniopora and leaving it in place for up 30 min or more. Goniopora are collected on back reefs so flow should either be on lower side or intermittent. Look forward to seeing it fully open.

10. Swisswiss

thanks for the replies, im pretty confident the flow is good, would love to check if just those damn polyps came out a little more, URGH...impatience...

i have similar system set up for target feeding. a syringe attached to a soft airline tube attached to a funnel....guess ill have to stand there for 30 mins getting my arm cleaned by my cleaner wrasse as the coral eats.

would freshly hatched brine work well? you mentioend they were not very nutritious does this apply to corals too?

im concerned about the polyps, i mean i realise they are not the same size or as yummy as my acropora polyps myabe for my fish, but i dont have great extension on my acro colonies and i fear the goni will suffer the same... :S

For the record the wrasse has a decent sting like pinch when he bites for such a little critter...

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It a coral is being picked on by a fish it will not open.

12. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

ORA states that they have never fed their gonioporas and have never tried. I have had an ORA green and red gonopora for over 5 years and never feed them. I have fragged the red one twice. There are a lot of different types and maybe some need to be fed but I would not make a blanket statement that they have to be fed often.

Paul