Purple and Green Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Jeff01, Dec 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Just to clarify, GAC, or carbon, has no control over phosphates. GFO, granular ferric oxide does. Carbon takes some toxins and organic carbons out.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

wow, I always get those confused for some reason. Thanks for the catch. ;D

4. Jeff01

Jeff01 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks! I had no idea the green was coralline. No idea how it got in there. The cyano is a pain. Most of it is gone, but now i'm dealing with a new type of algae -_-

Attached Files:

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Just so I'm not pointing you in the wrong direction, if you can rub your finger over the rock and it's tough and smooth, it's probably coralline. If it wipes away easily or is very hairy, it's nuisance algae. If it's the hairy type, get yourself a clean up crew of snails and hermits and they will eat the stuff up. Just wanted to clarify cause after looking closer to the green pic it looks sort of hairy. But still, nothing to harmful with the right CUC.

6. Jeff01

Jeff01 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It's soft and didnt rub off easily! So I guess it was on a snail's shell and now I got it.

7. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I recently changed from GAC to Magnavor Pura. So far I like it. It contains both GAC and GFO. I've always had a tiny trace of Phosphates, but now there is none at all. I use it in bags, but I'd imagine it would work really well in a reactor.