Purigen

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Jun 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

If one is constantly using this product to reduce nitrates, then stopped using it...wouldn't their nitrates spike rite back up again? This sounds like a temporary solution, only partially solving the original problem.:-/

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Steve are you using it in a reactor or just placing the bags in your sump?

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Plenty. 24 hours is all it would take for it to be safe to use again.

No. We run a nitrate coil now.

5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

you could say the same about any equipement you use, ie protein skimmer, carbon, whatever... simply put the purigen does more than just absorb nitrates. also i have regenerated purigen many times to no ill affect. chlorine has a very low boiling point (-29.27°F) so as soon as it hits open air it will start to turn to a gas leaving the water behind. so if you are afraid of using the de-chlorinate just let it sit in the sun in a cup of water for a few days.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

thats a very good point IMO - in my case the extent of the problem was 10ppm Nitrate, no sump, no fuge but a desire to try SPS corals
    I read good things on this site about Purigen, used it, zero'd my Nitrates within 2 weeks and have used it since, my trigger to change it is when I get a reading on my Salifert or Red Sea Nitrate test kits , as soon as it shows 2.5ppm - then its out and the substitute is in
    the great thing with this product is that when the bleach treatment does not get it back to brilliant white then its time to throw that away and buy a new one - this is why I have 2 lots in rotation.

Cannister for now, along with GFO and Carbon

24 hours - thats usefull information, thank you

thats exactly how I deal with mine crappyballer.

Steve