Purified Water and Instant Ocean Salt

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by clownfish, Oct 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I would reccommend getting a magnesium, calcium and alk test kit before buying any supplements and make sure you need them before buying them. Also if you dose one of the 3 to adjust something without checking, you are more then likly going to throw something out of balance. You dont always go by what the instructions say on dosing. You go by what your tests say.

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I use kents essential elements and have had excellent results with it. I also dose calcium once a week as needed until I get my tank situated and set up a limewater drip.

4. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

dude, everytime I see you write you come up with something new...sigh...limewater...you knew I would ask and yet you wrote..so here it goes...what is a limewater drip?....I think I'll buy a cat instead.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Forget all that stuff...You are wasting money you could better use elsewhere. Your salt mix will add everything you need initially. Maybe after testing and depending on what you want to keep, you may want to bump up Ca. Water changes take care of rest for me. (again, I use just plain old IO)

6. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

I visited a Sea Turtle hospital a few months ago while on vacation. Just for grins and smiles I took a picture of the salt they use in their tanks.

The person in charge of marine husbandry told me they use up to 2000# a month.(or was it 4k?) Anyway it was a lot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Im sure you've heard people talk about kalkwasser, well that's german for limewater, lol. There is lots of DIY drips out there, super simple to make. I am going to be making a new one soon, I'll take pics of it when I do it, if I do it, Im still reseaching other ideas in replace of it.

for the doser/drip
    Need a clear bottle, the size varies by the size of your tank.
    Rigid airline tubing
    Flexible airline tubing
    Airline regulator

For the limewater
    RO Water
    Pickling lime (the dry kind, not the wet, (mrs wages is what I use)

Thats it. Then you have to put it all together, but thats another thread, haha.

I use love cats when I was little, never understood why my mom really didnt like them, well I do now, and I cant stand them, hahaha.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I apologize ziggy, you did mention that and thank you....I also noticed you use tap water with dechlorinator....I have the Tetra's Aqua Safe, which claims to get rid of chlorine, chloromines, copper, iron and others...I wonder if this in fact true....I have no idea how good/bad my tap water is, but when I first set my tank up (a month ago) I did use tap water with the AquaSafe and the IO....do you know how effective the aquasafe is or if it works as they say at all?

dechlorinator is dechlorinator.only difference i ever noticed between brands is price.you can also let it sit and let the chlorine evaporate out or aggitate it to speed up the process.as far as using tap water,i think most tap water is safe to use a few times.it usually takes awhile,many top offs and water changes for the bad stuff in tap water to build up to dangerous levels.i've been using my tap water for 7 yrs,8 months in my present reef and never had a problem so i'm assuming that i have very good water.some day i will get a rodi hickymajig or whatever but everything fine for now.i think i'm going to get a much needed new stand and design a new sump 1st.