Purified Water and Instant Ocean Salt

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by clownfish, Oct 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I have used IO for going on 7yrs and never had a problem with, and the LFS I worked at has used it for over 20yrs and never had a problem and its the only salt they carry cause they actually use it unlike these places you repeat the claims of the manufacturer and have never actually used the stuff.

As for some salts being enriched, thats where ya get bad batches of salt. You need to test your water for EVERYTHING everytime you open a new bucket just to be on the safe side. We all should do the same for any brand of salt because there is so many things that can go wrong during manufacturing that we would never know until we used it. They could have a new employee who knows nothing about aquaria and put too much of one thing that can cause tons of problems etc etc.

2. Click Here!

3. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I guess what works for one person may not for the next. Also, price is normally different depending on where you are. For where I'm at Tropic Marin is not that much more expensive, although I still use Oceanic because I have a lot already and I have never had any issues with it.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

IO has been in busy for over 40yrs, must not be to many people who doesnt like them.

The downside to forums, you dont who it is who is making the claims about a product. For all we know its somebody who could work for company A complaining about company B and running down their product on a national/international open forum. Most people will believe what they read and take it for truth cause they read it with their own eyes. That is where the problem is. Atleast 75% of the people on forums have never used the products they discuss but quote somebody else thinking its the truth reguardless of how trust worthy the source is. Its just like with everything else in the world though, you show me one scientific study that says one thing, I can show one that says another. I am by no means an expert on anything, but I have a lot of experience and a ton of trial and errors with a lot of errors. I can tell from my own personal experience that fish do not like pepto bismal (I was 4, and I liked the taste and thought the fishies would too, so I dumped a bottle in. They didnt like it as much as I did.).

As for cost, fosters and smith has 160g bucket of IO for less then $40 shipped.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

RODI is purified water. Check out AirWater&Ice They have pretty decent deals on RODI units and they are a 3reef sponsor to boot! If you buy one of their units, tell them you saw them on 3reef!

6. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

First a statement: my post was mostly about using the RO water...I have no problem with IO, it's what I used to set up my tank and no problems here. The LFS owner by my house uses IO. And now Geek says he's used it for 7 yrs and that's Good Enough for me.

Question: IO has two products, one called IO of course, the other is called Reef Crystals Synthetic Sea Salt, which claims to have "Extra calcium, trace elements and vitamins to maintain a thriving reef system". Have any of you used that version of IO? Thanks.

7. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Most likely your question about local clubs etc will be answered later by the members of california, dont think were ignoring you.

Reef Crystal claims it has more trace elements etc.. I dont see the need since im supplementing with additives.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

clownfish-Question: IO has two products, one called IO of course, the other is called Reef Crystals Synthetic Sea Salt, which claims to have "Extra calcium, trace elements and vitamins to maintain a thriving reef system". Have any of you used that version of IO? Thanks.

yeah i mentioned it earlier on.it caused an algae bloom and i went back to regular io.that was when i 1st got into sw tanks 7yrs ago.there was no corals and no sump,just a hob filter and a prizm skimmer that was'nt set up right in an 29 gallon tank.

10. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Oh, I apologize ziggy, you did mention that and thank you....I also noticed you use tap water with dechlorinator....I have the Tetra's Aqua Safe, which claims to get rid of chlorine, chloromines, copper, iron and others...I wonder if this in fact true....I have no idea how good/bad my tap water is, but when I first set my tank up (a month ago) I did use tap water with the AquaSafe and the IO....do you know how effective the aquasafe is or if it works as they say at all?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Reef Crystals has a lot of free phosphates in it IE algae blooms. Which is why IO has a bad rap.

12. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp