Purchased overflow, which return pump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Anthos312, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Amen 8) wallstdrifter, so true. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

if my output is 3/4" inch on my return why would i use 1" piping?

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Larger diameter pipe gives you lower headloss so you get more flow and the pump is happier.

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well I have picked up all my plumbing and hooked up everything (dry fit). Here are some attached photos. Be kind.... my stand is not pretty, especially the inside. I care more about functionality.

I have placed a threaded ball valve on the return side of the pump, in addition to a coupling so I can unscrew and removed the pump/plumbing if necessary. The return distribution at the top will be temporary until I order some loc-line nozzle returns.

The overflow is drains down into a 90 bend through the stand and into a coupling (to be able to seperate the drain line if necessary. I have also included a ball valve in case I wish to add more plumbing for a refugium later.

As of right now, the acrylic sump I have is going to need a lot of work and I want to get this going so I am going to use a spare 20 gallon glass tank I have for at least a few weeks so I can start running my phosphate reactor/skimmer/etc. again.

Any other advice?

One question I have is, where my 1" drain connects to the bottom of my overflow box.... there is very little room for me to work with behind the tank and I cannot get a good connection. Will the PVC cement take care of this for me? Seems like this area should not be cemeted....

Attached Files:

6. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

I like picture 5 of 5.

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I know its not pretty but what else can i do?

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

bump! Tryin to start gluing pvc today.

10. nept2n

Anthros it looks good. Don't worry about the looks so long as it is functional and that's what matters. If you would see under my cabinet it would look worse that yours. Just enough room for maintenance and if a fire Marshall were to look it there he would have a heart attack. Just keep going and keep us post.
    Ed

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Sounds good.

Two questions though.

1) What is the best way to attach the 1" drain to the bottom of my overflow box? I doubt I should cement this.

2) Will these couplings work okay?

12. nept2n

Is your overflow threaded end? If so then you can use a threaded coupling if it is not a slip coupling will work just fine.