Purchased overflow, which return pump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Anthos312, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

IMHO, for a return pump, I'd use what I'm using.

the Marineland 5500 ( they make smaller and larger ), the same people that make the MaxiJets.

This one is made in Italy- and it's like a ferrari for sure.
    Mine is quiet, and puts out 1385gph max.

Always restarts by itself in a power out.

It can be external, or internal!

I use mine internal. It had good reviews, so I went for it and glad I did.

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Already chose return pump. Now what I need to know, is how to attach the PVC plumbing to the overflow box? What size PVC to use?

This is also my plan for the sump. I am going to pickup some 1/4" plexiglass (acrylic if i can buy it and get it cut)

Here is a drawing of what this original sump looks like. And there are also drawings of what I plan to do.

The "box" is where the drain line will go into and outside of that will be the refuigum area.

Based off the size of this sump and that I have already purchased it, I think this is the best setup. If you have any other advice for areas or things to add, let me know!

Attached Files:

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I have always used reinforced vinyl tubing for my overflow to sump plumbing since it is easily routed and does not have any sharp bends or reductions and little headloss.

5. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Anthos the PVC should be 1" to the sump. Your design looks good. It looks like your fist divider at the refugium goes to the top and is lifted at the bottom, is that correct? If it is then it should be the opposite. The divider should start flush at the bottom and should be lower than your box but not by much.

Also I would recommend glass and not plexiglas. If I remember correctly your sump is glass. You will get better adhesion with glass than plexiglas with aquarium safe silicone.

By the way did you resolve the issue with the two bulkhead holes?

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

The first divider is lifted at the bottom. There is nothign I can do about this though since this divider is actually part of the sump. The only thing I could do is place a small divider (only high as the first media seat/acrylic piece). That way, I could have a sand bed without it getting sucked down/blocking the divider pathway.

The sump is acrylic, I cant do glass. I will try to get 1/4" acrylic.

Still havent resolved the bulkhead issue. The larger bulkhead/hole in the bottom right seems sketchy. I really want to replace this but I dont know how I am going to get it off. I still dont know what size bulkheads to purchase or how i am going to close them off.

7. nept2n

Sorry about that Anthros I thought the sump was glass, so you're right to use acrylic. I would defenitely close of the bottom of the first panel. As you said your sand bed will leach out. How high is the first baffel? Is it to the top?

Also since your sump is acrylic the holes can be covered up with another piece of acrylic. When you use the acrylic weld on, it fuses the two pieces together. Here is a link to utube where it shows how it's done. HOW TO: Weld Acrylic - YouTube . This is how the make acrylic sumps in the first place.

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

The first baffel does go to the top. The only thing i could do is use a like 5" high baffle right before the first baffle with the open bottom. That way the sand bed would stay behind the 5 " baffle and not flow into the bottom of the first baffle.

I guess i can patch the arylic with some weld on. I was wondering if there was a way to do it without a patch tho?

10. nept2n

A baffle before that first one sounds like a good idea. What depth are you going to make the refugium section? If it deeper than 5" you may want to make that baffle taller it will still cascade over and it will give you the depth for your refugium.

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well the refugium section will be as high as I want to make it since that first baffle (with the open bottom) goes to the top of the tank. I can put a new baffle in there at whatever height I want to make it. The only problem is, I wont be able to use those seats for any sort of media/eggcrate trays. But I will just make due.

12. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

Strive for simplicity. More is usually more challenge only. Challenges grow old fast.