Purchased overflow, which return pump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Anthos312, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The Eheim actually runs at closer to 58 watts as indicated on a Kill A Watt meter. Also throw in a couple replacement impellers on the Mag as they all have problems. now the price is closer.

Plus you are comparing different pumps, the 1260 in reality is closer to the 9.5 than the 1262 is. On paper they are close but it does not work that way in real use. The 1262 is closer to a Mag 12. And you can find better pricing on the Eheim than that.
    EHEIM1262 Premium Aquatics - EHEIM1262 Aquarium Supplies

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yea definitely over estimating the price savings in terms of wattage and efficiency. Like i said before. Eheim is out of the question. I wont spend over $100. So my options here are still either a Mag 9.5 or a Rio Hyperflow.

4. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

We clearly have had different experiences with Mag pumps. I have never had to replace an impeller. Anyways, we could go back and forth for a long time here, so I'll leave it at that :)

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I guarantee your Mag drive will not last 12 years which is how long my last Eheim pump lasted. You really get what you pay for in this case especially when you are talking about a piece of equipment that is basically the heart of your system that will be asked to run 24/7.It also can be the source of some scary scenario's. You will be sorry if you choose to try and save money on this vital part of your system and in the long run it will cost you more.AZ Desert Rat is absolutely correct and his advice is solid. I have owned several Mag drives in my time and I can tell you that they are a big waste of your money.:cry:

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

The fact that we are actually discussing "12" year life time is boggling my mind. I take each year as it goes. This is a very tedious hobby and to have a 12 year future and thinkin ahead that far is a bit over zealous in my opinion. I look for quality but also budget at the same time. Over a 12 year duration, technology and pump improvements are going to drastically change, so i am honestly only looking for something for a few years at most. You should really checkout a lot of reviews ive been reading. Mag drivers seem to be very reliable, possibly noisy yet they are quality pumps.

7. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

Jake is right we can go back and forth on this subject for many pages to come. I am a newbie to the saltwater water world and just as everyone else that is new we seek the advice of those who have been in the hobby longer than us. This post is not intended to offend anyone as I originally chose to stay out after giving my opinion but change my mind after continuing to follow the thread. However times have changed. I consider myself a newbie but I used to own a 300gal system over 20yrs ago (FOWLR) and let me say that things have changed over the course of time that is why I say that I starting new (zero, scratch) as I never kept up with the hobby and didn't keep my tank.

The mag pump is not the same it was 7-8 or more years ago. Technology improves and so does quality. I chose my mag after doing extensive research. It is a good pump which I am sure that as time progresses and newer models and pumps come on the market those who have chosen this hobby will always look to teak there investments. The same way we do to add to our DT. So if a $90 pump will yield us about 5 years, those of us who are cost conscious see the benefit. I don’t believe none off us who are new to the hobby will willing place our investment and our babies in harms way. If Anthros can’t or doesn’t find it necessary (at the present time) to invest big and a smaller amount is better then maybe he will later (when able to) make a better investment then that is his choice.

I appreciate everyone who has more knowledge than I do that is why I joined to get help, opinions and advice. Again I do not intend to offend anyone with this post.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The return pump technology has not changed much in 20 years. If you fail to plan you plan to fail IMO. I don't need to check reviews for these pumps as I have owned them. I am all for budget hobbyists but there are certain parts of the system were this can be detrimental to your success.
    12 years may boggle your mind but I have been doing this for 30.You came here for good advice which you have been given Imo what you do with it will be up to you.Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  10. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

Contact the Manufacturers

There are three specs that need to mesh. Only the manufacturers can ultimately provide: for skimmer: Min/max return pump rate, water depth, size display tank. Sumps and return pumps need to serve the skimmer.

I would be skeptical of a skimmer that is not presented with specs.

11. wallstdrifter

wallstdrifter Flamingo Tongue

In this hobby quality is your lifeline. Pumps have been known to leak electricity, noise, heat, and various metallic ions with time. You can get a very powerful Tunze return pump for about $80.00 that you can adjust flow as needed.

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Alright well looks like i have a couple options and will decide from there. Does anyone have any idea on how to patch this hole though? I cleaned it up but it appears as though it wasnt a perfectly drilled hole and at the top of the hole seems to be a rough edge on the inside of the cut. I went into my local hardware store asking about how to close this hole and if a bulkhead would work and the person had no idea what a bulkhead is.

What you all think?

Attached Files: