Purchased overflow, which return pump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Anthos312, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have a mag 18 1800 gph running my 35 gallon tank, of course my tank is a bit different. but to your question about a pump throttled back if it would damage it. this tank has been running, one year and 8 months and the pump has always been throttled back about about 20 - 25 % i turn the pump up at times to clear the lines.
    my sump is a 25 gallon with baffles. with no micro bubble problem, my line coming from the tank has a slight loop in it and goes right into the water, so there is no splashing and it cuts noise.
    the way the line is run that comes into the sump might be why i don't have a micro bubble problem???? any way i don't use the sock on that line. But i would think if u had a micro bubble problem you could add a sock.
    i feed my sock with water from my reactors. its just in a easier spot for me to get to. and seems to be working out really well.

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Does the actual design of the RIO's make any difference? Like the mag drive has a "nozzle" so you acn attach plumbing to both the top and front. It looks as though the rio just sucks in water through the outside of it. Would I be able to easily take apart the rio for maintenance?

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

So what size Rio would you all recommend? I would prefer a Rio since they are much cheaper, however I am also open to other recommendations.

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Rio pumps are cheap for a reason, the quality is not the same as many of those suggested.
    Look at watts consumed per gallons pumped per hour for starters. Since the pump runs 24/7/365 you want the most efficient pump for enery savings. That plus more efficient pumps create less heat an are usually quieter.

Don't skimp on pumps or you will pay from day one.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I recommend the Marineland line of pumps.

Not the Marineland Maxijets, but the Marineland return pumps. Most can be used extrernal, or submersed.

I'm using a Marineland 5500, works awesome and always restarts in shut down, powerouts.

They are not that expensive, they are quiet, and, they're Italian!

Goggle Marineland return pumps

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Absolutely. Very good advice.;)

8. Click Here!

9. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I still recommend ~700 GPH at 5' head. I don't think Rio makes a pump capable of that output, so you'd have to look at other brands. Lots of good ones have been mentioned in this thread.

It may be a little too much flow for your sump, but too much flow in the sump is preferable to the siphon of your HOB overflow breaking, in my opinion.

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well these are BRS listed pumps.

Mag-Drive Supreme 9.5 950 GPH Pump - English

Eheim 1262 Universal Aquarium Pump 900GPH - English

There is no way im going to be spending over $100 on a pump....

This seems to be the best deal around for approxmiately 650 -> 700gph at 5'.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard...ps-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB30000-FIWPSBUF-vi.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard...ps-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB30000-FIWPSBUF-vi.html

Or even the smaller version would work as well. In fact i would probably go with the 3000 model. I will very likely still have to restrict this with a ball valve IMO.

11. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I think you may be reading the wrong column in those charts.

3000 is capable of 540 GPH at 5' head
    4000 - 621 GPH at 5'
    5000 - 1041 GPH at 5'

So I'd go for at least the 4000. I have no experience with QuietOne pumps, so I can't give an opinion on them.

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

nah i was reading it correctly. Man when did return pumps become so pricey?