Pumping Xenia...Lots of flow...or little flow?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by APC, Jul 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

My Xenia pulse when the PH is over 8, usually around 8.04 and higher, anything below this and they go quiet! My ph is running around 8.1 at the moment and they pulse all of the time.

2. Click Here!

3. cruzincaril

cruzincaril Plankton

hey ziggy222 thats a beautiful picture of your xenias..are they actually stuck to the glass? how they do that? can u give me the names of the corals in your tank cuz i have soft corals but if those that u have are soft i would like some additional ones. as far as the water flow to all out there who asked...even tho i am a newbie i do have xenias and before i got my powerhead they seemed happy..now witht the powerhead they seem happier and look like they ready to split off and im happy about that..i just love them;D ;D

4. cruzincaril

cruzincaril Plankton

i have to agree with the ph issue. when my pH was lower they werent too happy..sure are now that i raised it and lowered the alklinity..surprising how these parameters and affect these guys..::)

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

yes their xenia and growing up the glass.just let them touch the glass for a few days and they will grow onto it,then begin growing up it till they reach the top.in my tank they grow everywhere but where the return nozzles are blowing too strong of a current,as my last photo i posted shows.since you are so interested in xenia i'll post some photos i took of the growth rate you can expect from them.
    the day i bought one stalk and stuck it to a rock 5/8/2007
    5-8-07 yellow backed on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    5/11/2007
    5-11-07 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    5/12/2007
    5-12-07 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    5/16/2007
    5-16-07 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    5/17/2007
    5-17-07 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    on 5/20/2007 i cut it and moved the branches around my tank
    5-20-07cut on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

6. cruzincaril

cruzincaril Plankton

gosh thanks for those gorjus pics..those xenias look pink..or is it the light? u said u cut a branch? do u mean where they were splitting off? what is the name of that pink or purple coral is it next to it..it looks like a fast grower..too fast for a 30 gal? i like xenias cuz they are really easy and so graceful i love to watch them..;D

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

oh thats an 6 inch mushroom,its green with lavender frills.yes its a fast grower.i had it 3 months and it split.think its called a lavender frilly mushroom.