pulsing xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by madjam, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I'd say the aptasia was probably stinging your xenia. If it's drooping I wouldn't be too concerned. IME - Xenia has a habit of just doing this for a few days and coming back on it's own. If it appears to be "melting", then I would worry. I don't know about the carbon issues. I've been running it from day 1 and my xenia seems to be ok. Temp is kept between 80º-82º F.

2. Click Here!

3. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

I am having the same problems.....was fine for a few days when i first put it in, then it pulled itself in real tight..and stayed that way now for 4 days. its in mid tank...6 54 watt T-5 and low flow area. The stock looking blue as opposed to tan. I checked all parameters I can...and they seem within range. Just did water change 2 day ago 20% I dose with Marine Snow for the other corals which are all doing good......Anemone, FS, green star polyup, green button polyup, giant feather duster, small colony zoos.

90 gal DT / sump / skimmer / PO4 Reactor

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = .10 or lower
    Calcium = 440
    Mag = 1250
    Alk = 14 DkH
    Salinity = 1.024
    Temp = 76.5 - 77.8 night / day
    PO4 = .02 ish Reactor running 24/7 last few weeks PhosBan

Charcoal in canister filter for last 2 weeks

Any ideas ?? I thought maybe silicates in water ?? I use DI water only ??

Thanks

4. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

Sometimes mine will ball up tight. Usually when the clowns are bugging it. So perhaps something has changed to make up upset?

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

is it all balled up still? have they undone yet? move them to a little more flow. you said you have them in low flow. they don't like to be blasted, just waved....If they start to look brown and mushy, you can take them out of the tank with the rock they are on, if possible, and trim off the ones that are looking mushy, with a scissor. leave the base there, they will grow back. have you gotten rid of the aiptasia yet?

6. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Yes Aiptaisa is gone, was limited to the fuge only....I have been watching my coral beauty and fox face to see if they have been nipping and they havent.

Currently it is still balled up, it does extend very little like 1/4 inch sometimes, and it still looks blueish on the stock. it is in an area where it waves nicely, but lower in the tank and away from all others, in the sand as apposed to the rock. I will clip the stems that look melted or not extending at all....layed over and no movement as I feel its dead parts. Do i cut it close to the stock as I can removing all the stem...or just the heads part? When i first brought it home this guy extended like 4 inches all over and waved /pulsed beautifully.

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

can you post a pic of it so we can tell you if it's dieing. I'd hate for you to cut it off if it isn't.:) how long has it been in your tank? how old is your tank?

MADJAM> you started this thread, is yours still doing the same thing?

8. Click Here!

9. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

I thought of doing that after I shut the computer down and was headed to work, I will post a photo tomorrow afternoon.

10. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Here is todays photo

Attached Files:

11. madjam

madjam Plankton

O.k i bit the bullet and removed him from my tank this evening. Zena started tunring brown and melting on me. I figured better to remove and save the rest of my coral. Sad day as this was one of my first coral purchased.

12. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Srry for your loss, I just did a lugols dip on mine ....it still looks the same, but I have faith it will recover!!

Are you planning on getting another ??