pulsing xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by madjam, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. madjam

madjam Plankton

Last weekend i noticed my xena starting to shrivel up and droop. In the last few days it has gotten worse. I've checked all my water parms and all fall within spec. I did notice that just to the right of the xena was a Aptasia, which i'm wondering is it possible the little guy has been stung, and if so what are my chances of survival if any. Or do i cut my loss and remove him???

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

it could have got stung, I wouldn't remove it until it starts to melt then its at a point of no return. I would get rid of the Aptasia though.

4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

get rid of the aptasia, i have a big one slap bang in the middle of my xenia, its touching lots, but has never seemed to have stung, will be removeing it shortly...

5. madjam

madjam Plankton

i bought a peppermint shrimp and the aptasia seems to have disapeared. But the xena is still drooping.

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

7. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Do you know your Iodine level? Do you do regular water changes, or add supplements?

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Xenia requires moderate to intense light and water flow, iodine, nutrients(phosphates and nitrates) and don't like warm temperatures, unstable water parameters or carbon dosing continuously!

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the best thing for pulsing xenia is the lighting. I have 2x250 mh over a standard 55. Alot of my tanks conditions are contradictive. My temp is constantly 82 daytime and 80 at night. I steer clear of iodine. My alkalinity is always impossible to keep > 7dKh(for any length of time anyways). Nutrient wise only what is being used up quicker than I can test for. Definitely have always been on 0 for NO[SUB]3[/SUB]. I also have never used carbon in this system. It is just older than 2 years. I have some pretty healthy pulsing xenia that even pulses during night hours.

11. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

It's most likely from the Aptasia. My Xenia sometimes feels like shriveling up for a few hours and then goes back to normal pulsing. My Xenia pulse a lot I've been told.

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I have found aiptasia hiding amongst my p. xenia. Without any noticeable irritation.