pulsing xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PorkyBubs, Jul 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Hey, i have a small frag of pulsing xenia and they where small and pulsing and today they seem to have bloomed very big and they look very good other than they arent pulsing. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Where are they placed in the tank, what type of lighting do you have? Luna

4. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

xenia are weird corals, i got a small frag that were not pulsing at the LFS and now pulse like mad in my tank.

not sure the cause, other than they like good amouts of flow and mine seem to enjoy alot of light.

5. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Very true, they are strange....

I bought mine as a very small frag with 2 stocks with a hand full of polyps. They grew very fast and attached them selves onto the rock I wedged them onto. They have since split into multiple stocks with LOTS of polyps.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the polyps were very "feathery", large, and very wavy. Now they seemed to have have shrunk up a bit and are much smaller. They still pulse like CRAZY. Im hoping they will get over it soon and go back to how they were before.

6. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

They are on the bottom of my tank but they receive light compact lighting 4x55. They get a small amount of water flow.

[​IMG]

You can see the power head, etc and where they are.

[​IMG]

What they look like.

Lights are off and they are sleeping right now.

7. pwoller

pwoller Spaghetti Worm

I have learned that a bit of Iodine helps xenia pulse in my tanks.

8. Click Here!

9. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

It doesn't look unhealthy, it may be a little low in the tank though, mine likes being up about halfway. How are your parameters? I can tell when my PH drops and mine stops pulsing.

10. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Yeah my LFC said i need to buy some trace stuff that was $25 anyone know any info about that? He also said double the Iodine. I add very little but i just trippled my corals so i need too. I will boost my Iodine and if that doesn't work i will move them up higher.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

BE CAREFUL BOOSTING IODINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! both of my reefs seem to be quite happy and all I dose is alk and cal in my softie/lps tank and ca reactor running on my sps tank. The smallest overdose in iodine will wipe your fish out. If you are doing water changes you should be ok with it. Trust me on this one. I've seen it happen more than once.

12. pwoller

pwoller Spaghetti Worm

I add 2 drops of Lugo's, mid week. I do 10 percent water changes on the weekends. My xenia seems to like the iodine.