Pulsing Xenia vs. Scissors

Discussion in 'Frags' started by missionsix, Mar 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newbie

newbie Bristle Worm

I just chopped mine up tonight they were getting to friendly with my toad stool and I was worried I had killed it needless to say after reading this thread im not worried any more..

2. Click Here!

3. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Can you super glue the choppped frags to glass? I have some xenia on an oyster shell, and thought it would look cool and be easily controlled if it were on the back glass.

4. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I have heard of people doing it. the same with GSP.

5. sail33

sail33 Plankton

get a small hypodermic like is used for diabetes. Suck up some fresh hydrogen peroxide 3% solution, like on the shelf at the drug store. Squirt a little on the base after cutting off the bulk of the xenia. Then send the bulk to me. I'm not disgusted with it yet.

Oh, the H2O2 won't harm the tank and it's a great way to spot kill algae too. Green will be dead within 24 hours and red or brown in 3 days or so. Your clean up crew will love the "cooked" algae.

6. benjaminS

benjaminS Astrea Snail

Xenia can't be killed. Put them in a blender and put it back in the water you will see...

7. Dustfuzzie

Dustfuzzie Plankton

Anyone have some extra xenia they want to share? Can't find it in my local lfs :( and as I am new to saltwater, having something I can't kill is probably a good thing ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I think xenia is one coral that does not ship well from what I understand. But definitely try and get it locally if you can. I just asked my LFS and one of their workers brought some in from his tank.

10. Dustfuzzie

Dustfuzzie Plankton

Thanks, good idea :) but I did eventually find some :) just put it in yesterday and today it's opened up a little :)

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Cool! I find mine likes lower flow. I had it in 2 tanks, in one it hardly pulsed at all. The second (where it is now), pulses non-stop! Same colony so no idea why.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I love my xenia. I have found when my water quality is good, it pulses more. I can tell I need a water change by less pulsing