Pulsing Xenia Dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cannedmulder, Sep 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Most inverts use Iodine, but you shouldn't add it if you can't test for it. Easy to overdose.

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Here it is at lunch:

[​IMG]

And again at 10pm:

[​IMG]

Say goodbye to my xenia. The bubbles it had have opened and now I can see rock through them. I ask the question again...Do I have to worry about anything being affected in my tank? Should I remove what I can?

4. cannedmulder

I had one head come all the way off. I flowed around my tank and one day I was moving rock and found it on the bottom of one, well attached. Look at it now.
    [​IMG]

Take a look at the rest of the xenia that was wanting to die! It is so happy now!! This is right when they close up for the night! I am so happy it didn't die!
    [​IMG]

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad the xenia is pulling through. As a heads up, xenia doesn't "close" for the night. It's a very active soft coral. Mine only close when a hermit decides to look for food within the coral or, when something is astray in my tank.

6. cannedmulder

Most everything in my tank closes for the night except the sun coral, torch and duncan. It has since I set up the tank! I thought this was normal. Now you have me worried! But it still is happy when the lights are on! So I won't worry too much until it starts dying again!

7. missionsix

I wouldn't worry about it. It just struck me as kinda odd. I'd worry if they weren't looking well during the daylight cycle. Mine just never close. Like 7/11 I guess, always "open".

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

my xenia, leather, polyps, and frogspawn all close up for the night even if i leave the light on a bit longer then normal they seem to know the exact time it going dark...

10. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

I have read that xenia needs iodine to do well. I don't know how true this is because i have not attempted it yet but i will in the next week probably.

11. missionsix

My xenia is doing too well. I have never added iodine to my tank once.