Pulsing Xenia Dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cannedmulder, Sep 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yeah, electricity and water. I got zapped here pretty good when my Mag 9 turned into a fountain.

What's your ALK?

EDIT: I am kinda wondering what's driving your pH to 8.4. Your Ca is low, your pH is a little high.....What's your Mg at? I don't know if that makes a difference, but I am searching.

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I don't have a test for ALK! Should I? It is amazing how many things you can test for!

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Also, if you are using a plastic hydrometer, a reading of 1.028 at 80 degrees is actually 1.026. Actual reading is based on 60 degrees. For each increase in 10 degrees you subtract .001 from the value. Trust the refractometer.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. cannedmulder

My refractometer is coming soon. Couple of days. I also don't test Mg. I was told that ph is ok.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yes, at this point, I would get a GOOD test kit for ALK, Ca, Mg, NO3, PO4 and pH. API is good enough for NH4 and Nitrites IMO. I am getting Salifert on everything else just because I am realllllyyyy impressed with the accuracy (So far I have Ca, Mg, NO3, I and PO4). I also have a test for Iodine. Do I need it? Don't know. I just got it. The Salifert brand is expensive but worth it after comparing it to my API that I currently use for Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH.

Hey, I know it's hard, but relax tonight and see what's posted tomorrow. Search around and get good test kits from whoever sells them cheapest. I got most of mine from Tangster and one from DFS.

And Xenia is tweeky. Mine first and second frag looked great, then good, then great, then bad, then great, then it died. My third frag is much more stable emotionally. They are sensitive to it's environment. I think you need to work on getting your params to more 'normal' levels.

IMO

pH:8.2
    NO3: 0
    Ca: 420
    Mg: around 1380
    ALK: I would run 9 to 12 dKH. Xenia tends to like the upper end of the spectum. I noticed mine increasing in activity and emotional stability around 11dKH

And two more questions. Do you use RO water and what kind of salt mix do you use?

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

It probably is. I am new to this too...all of four months experience. I get a little worried when mine deviates from the coveted 8.2 by only a hair. My OCD at work.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

10. cannedmulder

I don't know all the accronyms for everything but now that you said that I do test for ALK but that isn't what the box says. I do have it between 9-12 dKH. Mine runs between 10 and 11.

I do use RO water and the unit is less than 2 months old. I use instant ocean for my salt.

The Xenia looks very sad and small today!! I don't think it is going to make it!:cry:

11. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

3 Months is pretty new. I had 1/2 a tank full and it died. Complete colony wipe out is common if its not cut back. Do you supplement with Iodine?

12. cannedmulder

No no Iodine added. I was told I don't have anything that requires Iodine!