pukani

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by NutsnBolts, Feb 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts Plankton

first id like to say a big thanks to everyone's advice secondly I was just double checking when your talking about base rock your talking about dry rock right? and what's the best way to clean the pukani so it does leach unwanted thing into my water while trying to cycle to tank?

2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Honestly, everyone has their own idea on how to do this. For some below will be overkill, while others would want to take it further.

My suggestion:

1) Rinse well with regular water
    2) Let it sit outside in the sun for a week (works better in the summer, lol)
    3) Put your rock in a Rubbermaid container full of saltwater, drop a heater and a powerhead in and let it sit there for 6..8 weeks. Do 50% water change every week.

Whatever you do, do not literally cook It :) No stoves, no ovens. The fumes could kill you and rock can explode.

4. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

One more thing, get something like Microbe-Lift Special Blend. Some online retailers sell it, as well as Petco.

It's another bacteria product that is designed to consume dead organics. You could dose that to the Rubbermaid container to accelerate the process.

5. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts Plankton

Thank you much... I found some rock on marine depot that look very similar to pukani but it says that its professionally cleaned and dried for quality anyone had any experience with this rock should I trust that its clean?

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Yeah sorry, by base, I'm talking about dry rock. Also eliminates the pest hitchhikers...

7. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts Plankton

Thanks coylee

8. Click Here!

9. Flying Turkey

Flying Turkey Astrea Snail

I'm new to this and trying to gather as much info as possible.

I've got a brand new 50 gallon rimless cube. So you're saying I could get just 25 lbs of Pukani and that would be enough?

If I got 25 lbs Pukani and say 10 lbs live rock, could I put it all in my new tank, and let it cycle? Do you think the Pukani would cause a very long cycle?

Also, by seeding the Pukani with live rock, how long would I have to wait after the cycle to add livestock? How long would it take before there is enough benificial algae on the Pukani?

10. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

When i started my 55 gal, I started with 27 lbs of pukani. After about 3 months I added dry rock as well. The thing with pukani is that it has all this dead organics on it that causes the long cycle process. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't see it much of a benefit to add live rock as well since all that dead stuff has to decompose off the rock in order to get processed. Maybe you'll cut the cycle by a week if you do add live rock. IMO i don't see it being much of a difference as a week is nothing in this hobby lol.

11. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Your cycle is dictated by your water sample results it's a cookie toss as to how long it takes, that depends on a million things, and can change with any number of possibilities.

Keep checking your water, it will tell you when it's ready.