Pukani Rock Volume How Much Is Enough?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by LarryS, Sep 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

For a new 65g (starting with fowlr...lol) and a 20g sump with refugium, I am strongly leaning toward Pukani rock - it should have enough detritus to "seed" the cycle... lightweight, very porous, and I'm told very easy to work (build aquascape).

But I've read where folks have bought the stuff only to find that they have too much, given there's so much more volume vs. other rock, Florida rock, Fiji or whatever.

Bulk Reef Supply suggested 3/4 lb per gal, but the dude I spoke didn't seen confident leaving me less than confident as to his guesstimate. :-( That said, I'm concerned that at roughly 50 lbs I'll have either too little to build a tall enough wall, etc... or too much waste. Either is an obvious issue.

Hoping to locate some reefers who have hands-on experience with this rock. I need to place an order by tomorrow (Fri, 9/16) to take advantage of a group buy opportunity and $5 discount coupon.

Thanks! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

have a 90. orders 80 pounds. had about 25 to 30 lb left over. great rock. i was happy to have the extra as it gave me more selection to scape. and you can use the left over to sell/trade to local reefers. check out my build thread and i have pictures of all 80 lbs laid out. with a beer bottle for comparison. i would think you would be good with 40 lbs.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

For a 65 gallon, order 30 LBS. Should be perfect, maybe a touch too much. Pukani is great rock!

EDIT:

The photo shows 45 LBS. Dimensions of tank are 48" x 24" x 24".

Attached Files:

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

See my link in my signature. I have 45lbs in my 65g.

6. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Very helpful but raises more questions.

I scanned your build thread but not sure I saw your final aquascape. What I see (early in the thread) looks good but I want a fuller and taller wall than I see - that said, impossible for me to tell from what you have laid out on the floor (the beer is distracting :) ) the volume but looks like lots.

Is the 25-30 lbs leftover from the early DT photo I saw?

7. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Very nice but still think I want to go taller, if that's realistic - which I'm thinking with Pukani is possible? Yes?

8. Click Here!

9. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

not sure if you saw this picture. but this was my final design, had about 25-30 lbs left over i would guess.

Attached Files:

10. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I say get extra more selection then u can break it up and glue frags to it

11. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Actually did miss this one. Very helpful. Thanks! :)

My 65g is 24" tall - your 90g is 21", if I correctly recall the specs on the 90g. Using your guesstimate of 25-30 lbs leftover...let's say you used 50 lbs (est.)

So, for me to get the same result I'm guessing I'd need at least 60 lbs.

Does that sound about about right?

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i think 60 lbs will be to much. unless you want it packed to the gills with rock?