Pros and Cons - 90 gal vs. 75 gal.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by karcury, Nov 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have actually been debating this same thing. I also have 55 right now and will eventually upgrade to a 75 or 90. I like my 55, Im not a huge fish person. I like the smaller fish such as clowns, sixline, yellow tail, etc. My complaint with the 55 is that it is too narrow. I want the 75 to get the extra width. I probably will get a 75 and not a 90, just my personal preference. It will suit what I want to do. If I were you, I would think about why you want to upgrade. If you want more fish or bigger fish, go with the 90. If you just want some more room for corals and rock work, I would go with a 75. I wouldn't just go bigger just for the hell of it, while I know some people do that, its just not me. (just a new perspective)

2. Click Here!

3. karcury

karcury Astrea Snail

Good input GuitarMan. The reason we started talking about a bigger tank was because of the "narrow" issue and coral. I want to be able to make some foothills before the mountains. :) The hubby and I will certainly add this thought to our discussion tonight. Funny thing about it is I didn't even want a salt water tank in the first place because of the cost and how complicated it can be. Now I'm the one buying coral! It's kind of like a peaceful garden in the living room! My husband thinks it's funny. . .

4. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

We have taken down our 75 to set up a 120.... both are 4' long so the lights moved over just fine.... More water volume is a good thing!

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I havent read the whole thread, so forgive me if Im repeating someone's statement. The most important factor here is lighting! A 90g is 24" in depth, so if your planning on having corals that need intense lighting, please keep this in mind. A part from the spacing factor, Im sure that you guys already measured to see if its going to fit. The next step is the up-grading part. When ever you up-grade(at least 50% bigger) theres always going to be more costs, at least in my exp. I agree with ppl that say why only up-grade 20g. You will only want to up-grade to a bigger tank in no time. Skip the "middle" tank, if you know what I mean. If you dont mind the little extra cost, I would definitely go with the 90. Good luck with your choice and keep us posted. Luna

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

agreed

+1 ..