Proper fragging techniques

Discussion in 'Frags' started by reefboy23, Aug 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I can find you a link for fragging a bubble...but they are hard. I think I may have posted it here (search it).

But its definately a waiting process. Not hard to frag...but you have to wait for the tissue to seperate :(

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you want to P/M me I'll tell you how I go about fraging any of type coral.. I tried to explain this once on another forum and when I'd say how I do it then 20 others would post what their Book says about how its done. I do it the way I do from my experiences of many many many yrs of fragging them and how my techniques for different species work for me.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The easy way is to take a old tupper ware bowl or something like that fill it with rock and coral rubble then take scissors and snip the tops of the parent coral and place the one inch long snipped tips into that bowl and let them be. they will attach and in a few weeks will look just like Momma just smaller. Now there are more difficult way to achieve the same results if interested ?

6. BB23

BB23 Astrea Snail

Wow i never even thought of that, (i guess thats why i was asking) but still great idea. Thnx so much

7. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

ok, i just have a quick question on fragging xenia... i was bored, and found a youtube video, and the dude basically cut a chunk off of the main xenia, transferred it to a bowl with saltwater, and commenced to cutting it up into smaller pieces, then used some sort of lace material to trap the frag onto a plug, and wrapped it with a rubberband.... is it really that simple?

i've also read about fragging gorgonians (via GARF.org)... snip a branch down close to the base, strip off about 1/4 inch of the "skin", drill a tiny hole in a plug, drop of superglue, stick the stripped end into the hole, and you're set! oh yeah, they also said that the piece of "skin" will re-grow into another frag.... is all of this true?

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i basically use the same method as tangster for mushrooms,xenia,most soft corals.but i don't use a bowl,i put the frags in a low flow area of the tank on a bunch of rubble.i know that most sps is just cut and super glue jell onto a rock.chances are,if you search fragging a whatever,you will find instructions.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Frag the xinias just as I described in the thread with the sissors and sinpping then into a bowl of rubble thats how We do it on a daily bases just snip and let it fall they will attach in a few hrs to days . Thats also how we do out BTA'a LOL man its very simple some just make it difficuilt :)