Prop a wall hammer?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by MDeth, Apr 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

It looks like coraline, but it is a constant rim around all of the coral...and it seems like it is dead-ish where it doesnt have the coraline.

And everyday I find my smallest blue-leg hermit in the center I assume chowing on decay. Yes, that pic is about an inch long where the coral is recessed. Originally it was fully open...and it has slowly gotten worse :(

In about 2 weeks I havent seen it open in the center again ..

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's probably because it is :)

I wouldn't expect the "dead" center area of the coral to grow back but I also wouldn't be worried unless what remains of the flesh starts to recede, rot or generally start looking bad.

Could be that your hermit is just eating whatever algae is growing on the dead spot. Algae will not grow on live/healthy areas of a coral, only on the dead spots.

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Well, I think it gets a little larger everyday :/

TY for your help :)

Do you think a hammer can be propped like an elegant/elegance?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

A good way to know for sure is by taking pics and comparing them. If you're anything like me, you don't notice slight/subtle changes when you look at things every day :)

And yes, I believe that you could follow the same procedure for fragging the hammer as was described in the article regading fragging an elegance :)

6. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Bump...anybody else have an idea about this?

CYAN - that purpleish tissue under the skeleton used to wrap all the way around the rim..and it extends into the corals skeleton

RED - this area has no polyps that I've seen extend...I think this section is dying off slowly and it is spreading

[​IMG]

7. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

I had this very same thing happen with a non branching hammer just like yours. Eventually the hammer completely died. I wished I had tried prop it, but I didn't. I went with the wait and see what happens attitude. From what I have been told you can prop hammers, but you can only cut them where there is no flesh. If I had it to do over again I would cut it through the middle where there is no flesh and see what happens. Best of luck with this. I hate to see any corals die. ( Lord knows I've killed my share)